So can we put the "talent" conversation to rest

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Feb 6, 2013.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Imagine how good they can be when their position coach can dedicate 100% of his time to them.

Attack Tiger likes this.
  2. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

Yeah, yeah, yeah...they're all great players, but we've still been giving up a ton of sacks. It's possible that's on the QBs as much as the line, but they still played a role. A bunch of good players, but no chemistry or consistency AS A UNIT.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That is blame for the O-line coach and the OC. More likely the sacks are because we have a statue for a quarterback (Lee, Metteneberger) or one with no pocket presence and happy feet (Jefferson). Plus an offense that is too predictable and doesn't make defenses pay for blitzing so much.

Attack Tiger likes this.
  4. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I think it's been a combination of many things, that hopefully can be corrected with one thing...Cameron.

Not saying Cameron can do it all, but his presence will allow Stud to be a dedicated OL coach, which I think has been missed. Talent is there, as Red points out. And I don't like pointing at one game to make any point, but since I was just looking at the play by play of the Chick Fil A Bowl, several things stood out to me.

Yes, Mett is a statue. Hopefully Cameron can help there, but that remains to be seen.

But, looking at the Clemson game. Mett started out the game 8-8. Clearly we caught them off guard with the early passing. He was 9-11 in the half, so finished 1-3 with an INT.

Also, let's not forget he was sacked 4 times in the first quarter. For reasons unknown, the OL was a sieve, especially the right side with "Bull and Dozer". Whatever happened, it sure would've been nice to have a dedicated OL coach on the field at that time, instead of just figuring they'll fix it themselves.

In the second half, Mett was 5-12 and was sacked an additional 2 times. The plays called seemed to reflect an attempt at halftime adjustments to overcome the fact that the OL was not playing well. But again, Mett is a statue, and isn't at his best rolling out trying to throw. I think a combination of the many times he was sacked, coupled with them trying to roll him out, led to much worse production in the 2nd half than in the first.

Don't even get me started on the 3 consecutive pass plays at the end of the game with a lead, an RB that's only carried the ball 12 times, averaging 10 yds/carry, blocking while the immobile QB rolls out throwing the ball...instead of just running the ball and running the clock out/making them burn their time outs.
    But that doesn't have anything to do with the OL. :)

Attack Tiger, LSUDad and gyver like this.
  5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Yes Mett is a statue, but he did have a great bootleg against Old Mrs. when trying to run out the clock, in 2011. But to add Flacco at 6'6" 245# isn't too fleet of foot. Also remember this for the OL, we had Josh D and Big Ben on the sidelines in 2011 to help out while Studs was in the booth.

I agree Fish, Cam should be able to repair a few things, the starting with Studs getting back down on the field.

Attack Tiger and Fishhead like this.
  6. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

I concede. Perception is reality, I guess.

LSUDad likes this.
  7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I believe injuries had the biggest effect on the oline this past year and the qb holding on to the ball lead to at least half the sacks we gave up. He had no pocket presence. The oline has been pretty damn good IMO considering all the other factors.

Mett must improve his all around game and I am very hopeful that Cam will help with that with his coaching and play calling. We saw tremendous improvement by the WR'S a the season progressed and I am confident that will continue. I also expect Dural to have a big impact.

TigerTap, Attack Tiger and LSUDad like this.
  9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member