So. The Defense.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Atreus21, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

What reasons do they have for coming out so explosively to begin the season and then flattening out so noticeably since the SCAR game?

This isn't a flame of the defense. I'm looking for stats and general observations.

Were they banged up? Was VT's offense, and that of Middle Tennessee and MSU, that bad? Was Florida's offense, and that of SCAR, UK, and Tulane, just that good? Will the bye-week help them produce? If we see the VT-game LSU defense, Bama will be hard-pressed to counter it.

I'm worried about the defense, fellas. They just don't look like the vicious, destructive bunch of maniacs I saw at season's beginning.

2. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Part of it is we have played good teams. The defensive line's lack of pressure has hurt us the most and our ability to get off the field in specific situations changed too.

Alabama's offense is a little deceptive. They are not explosive like Florida or Kentucky, as in those teams can really score at any second. They are more like Auburn where they move methodically down the field and will have to convert key third downs.

Alabama succeeded against Tennessee because of their ability to do well on first down. If we can limit that it puts Bama's offense in a world of hurt, as they work way better in short yardage situations.

3. offshoretrash

offshoretrash Founding Member

I know of atleast three reasons and two of those will be fixed this weekend. I will keep those reasons to myself.

4. Atreus21

Atreus21 Founding Member

Yes. Disclosing them is bad luck.

:)

5. TC

TC Le Big Mac

The defense is solid, but they are way over-hyped. The front four is good, but not even close to dominant. They certainly can't get consistent penetration on their own. The linebackers are solid, but not great. (Luke Sanders in coverage is a sad sight, indeed.) And the DBs are hard hitters, but only average in coverage. (Get Steltz one-on-one with a good tight end, and watch him look pretty bad.)

This ain't your 2003 Tiger D, that's for sure.

On Saturday, it's time for them to step up and prove TC wrong! :geaux:

6. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I don't think they were flat for SC... 16 points allowed is respectable. But they didn't have the same intensity as they did at the beginning of the year. The loss of Alexander had more than a bit to do with it I think... and indirectly the loss of Doucet had some to do with it. "But Doucet is on offense!", you say.. yep... more incompletions = less time the offense has the ball = more time on the field for the defense. Honestly I didn't think they looked all that bad until the Florida game, and even then, it's more of an inconsistency thing IMHO...

Anyway, I'd expect them to be closer to what they were at the beginning of the season IF everyone is healed, rested, and focused. The focused part is most important. If they've gotten caught up in the hype surrounding this game it could be trouble. If they go out there and grind it out like they've never heard of Saban, the SEC West, or the Varsity... then they will be just fine. AARRGGHH I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I think we hit the hard part of the season against four good SEC teams and we lost a starting DT for the season. But now we face Bama, Ole Miss, La. Tech and Arkansas for the downhill stretch. It is a mistake to write off this defense.

8. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

I remember hearing the analyst during the Florida game telecast saying that the best offense LSU had faced statistic wise was Tulane who was ranked 87th in total offense at the time we played them. As Red55 stated the competition has gotten much tougher as we have moved into the season.

Unlike the 2003 D we don't BLITZ much. Wish we would do more of it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Over-hyped? Yep - but not by much - they're still pretty damned good.

If the DBs were bad in coverage, we'd have lost more games because our pass rush has been probably our weakest link and we've played some damned fine QBs (Tebow, Woodson, Cox).

Steltz has broken up a lot of passes.

But I like your challenge, TC. I hope they print it and put it on their lockers!:thumb:

:geaux: :geaux: :geaux:

10. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

I hope we stunt, blitz, and disguise packages better than we have been in recent weeks.