So who starts next weekend?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dothantiger, Sep 18, 2004.

1. dothantiger

dothantiger Founding Member

We seen them both today....again. Randall led us to our only TD, and Russell almost came out with a possible outstanding victory in the final seconds. Who will be Nick's pick to start against the dogs? I say he'll go with Russell.

2. WestCoastTiger

WestCoastTiger Founding Member

We need to put the ball in JaMarcus's hands the rest of the season. Let him get the experience. We will be better off for it next year.

3. bubbafong

bubbafong Founding Member

No offense, but this attitude is ignorant. Randall has played well the last 2 games, and got our only TD today. Russell should still play, but he's not ready to carry it alone, as also showed by today. You're basically saying we should disregard this season since we lost a game. That's ridiculous. It was the 3rd game. There's still a lot of games to be won, and Randall can and should play a part in winning those.

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Russell needs to play 3 quarters. I said that for the Ark. St. game and I will say it again. The 2 QB thing needs to be over. It's a lovely thought that bringing in 2 different styles of QB confuses the defense and makes them prepare for them both. In essense we run the same offense no matter who is in the game. So there is no advantage for LSU in that sense.

The other issue which too many are overlooking is the problem at running back. Broussard needs to start and carry it at least half of the time. Vincent and Addai can share the other half of the carries. A better running game will help open things up for Russell.

Running Vincent for 2 yards on first down has gotten a little old.

5. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

I totally agree with you an the RB thing. The QB thing is questionable.

There are two schools of thought you can go with on the QB. If you want to build for the future and just have an good season with a New Years Day bowl, I agree you start Russell here on out. If you feel you still have a chance at the SECCGC and a BCS bowl, you go with both QBs and stick with who is hot. This is what Saban needs to decide with the QBs by the Florida game IF/WHEN we beat Georgia.

As for the RB, Vincent has been very disappointing this year. Throw your jabs at me, but he is average at best this year so far. Broussard came in today and ran hard and smart, had a great day. He should have gotten the ball more IMO.

6. uscpuke

uscpuke Founding Member

Good point about the RB situation, we should be having a RB controversy right now. Broussard carried the ball 10 times for 89 yards...so is the O line not blocking or is JV not hitting the gaps quick enough?

7. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I think we shouldn't change a thing

MR should start every game, if he's hot you go with him.
    If not you put JR in and see if he can get hot.

You should always have the same person starting or coming off the bench
    IMHO.
    That way you have a system the players can get use too instead of starting
    one this game and another that game.

Players seem to respond better when they get comfortable with a system.
    You do it the same way over and over and over.
    Its no different than practice.

You want the situation the same that way the players are use to it and don't
    even have to think about who's starting.

8. islstl

I am afraid we hyped up Vincent way too much. The defenses are geared to stop him. The offensive line is not as good with run blocking this year. But then again, Broussard came into the game today with that same offensive line and really ran well.

9. stamant79

stamant79 Founding Member

Broussard blasted through the line JV tipped toed which gave Au time to react. They have speed on defense as well

10. islstl

That's the way Vincent runs.

Go back and review film on the SEC CG game versus GA. Even on them 2 long runs, he waited patiently for the hole to develop and then ran like hell.

Those holes aren't there this year.