So who transfers.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Jan 30, 2003.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

For arguments sake, lets say LSU signs all three Q.B's Lane, Russell and Flynn.

Tack on current players, Randall, Mauck, Clausen, Ricard, (And I believe that kid from California, and I am sure I am missing one)

But lets focus on them because they are the QB's on the depth chart.

The Days of Rohan, Booty, and Nall are over. No way you keep 3 QB's of that calibur on the team.

I ask this. Once a true starter or QB of the future is discovered and his backup, who transfers? Lets face it, there is no way LSU can keep 3-4 QB's who could start somewhere else.
    Now Saban may take a Ricard and move him somewhere else (Rumor is he is) assuming Ricard lets that dog hunt.

I see Randall Transferring to Southern or some such, he wanted to last year and Saban talked him out of it. You know my stance on Randall. Thanks you tried but D-1 College ball is not for you.

Personally I think Lane or Russell could be the future stars, giving the Nod to Russell based on Reading alone (Insiders says he has the best arm of all the QB's coming out)

Flynn is a big kid and a great kid for sticking it out during all this Lane/Russell thing and the jack ass from A&M snooping around and telling his Saban lies.

Mauck - I read He really is more interested in education I understand he is Pre-Med and wants to become a Doctor, I think he is the starter next year while the young ones red shirt, but his senior year he may be holding a Clip Board.

I guess my question is, assuming we get Russell (Which I am very skeptical about) what happens with the log jam at QB ???

2. Randy70

Randy70 Founding Member

baseball schlorship not option

Lane would not be allowed to play football on a baseball schlorship. It's against the rules.

3. TexasTigers

Ahh, thanks for the Info. I did not know that. Makes sense though. Most Schools would have their Football players on Swimming and Chess Scholarships.

I assume it is O.K. to be on Football Scholarship and play baseball however ???

What is the rule on that ??

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There will be 5 quarterbacks in the spring and no one has the starting job locked up. No more than 3 will see any game time next year, barring injuries.

Mauck -- persistent rumors that he's not physically ready to play
    Randall -- most SEC experience, but hasn't shown a Div I arm.
    Harrison -- threw for big yards in JC, now knows system, spring is his chance
    Clausen -- must get into the rotation this spring or consider options
    Ricard -- must get into the rotation this spring or consider options

If no starter emerges there will be 8 quarterbacks in the fall (assuming Russell and Lane). All three frosh will get a chance.

Lane -- has a shot at playing, could redshirt, may go to pro baseball
    Flynn -- has a shot at playing, probably will redshirt
    Russell -- has a shot at playing, could redshirt

Options:
    Randall, Clausen, and Ricard have legitimate transfer opportunites at QB in Div I-AA or Div II.

Harrison has transferred twice already, probably will stick here as a reserve QB.

Randall and Ricard have legitimate prospects at WR or DB, if they would consider a position change. If Randall has an NFL future, it is at WR.

Mauck may not return from his injury. Or he may be our starter this year.

The 3 freshmen? One will eventually start; one will redshirt, play as backup and start as senior, and one will leave in 2 years.

[​IMG]

5. TexasTigers

Damn Red.

You pretty much nailed that one.. Great Post....

6. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

Theres no reason why he can't play football while on a baseball scholarship if they can prove he's a legitimtae baseball player which is pretty obvious..

7. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Actually...

I don't know the technicality of it all, but you can play football for college and MLB. Although, you cannot technically play Major League Baseball and play football, if the team he is drafted by covets him enough, they can pay for his tuition. It happened here in Dallas at SMU. Quaterback Richard Bartel was drafted by Cinci and they agreed to pay for his schooling as long as he comes and works out with them in the summer. After his second(maybe third) year, cinci will give him the option of staying at SMU or going full pro and then, and only then, will they stop paying for his education. Its unlikely and uncommon, but it can happen as it did over at pony land.

8. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

Welcome to the board, Dallas.

He is expected to be drafted in the first round. Any MLB team using their first pick on him will not want him anywhere near a football field.

9. TexasTigers

Another DFW Tiger !!!
    Welcome.

Fly the flags and show your colors..
    Lets drown out the burnt orange and maroon !

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I seem to remember that Mike Miley played QB for LSU while playing minor league baseball in the summer. I think that is an option for some players.

But Ellis is right, The reason Josh Booty got such a high signing bonus was to get a "no football" clause into his contract. MLB is willing to pay big bucks to keep their top prospects out of college football.