Somali Pirates murder 4 Americans

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal Buddy, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Enough is enough. The international community of nations must take strong and definitive action against Somolia. What the UN should do (note I said "should" do; not that I think the UN will do anything other than wringing its hands) is give the pirates an reasonable deadline to release all 600+ hostages and lay down their arms. If they fail to do so, sent in an international military force and establish a protectorate over Somolia. We don't need to control the entire country; just the coastal areas and towns. But for far too long now no one has dared to do anything. All we have done is give reasons why we should do nothing. We look only at the consequences of action; we never look at the consequences of inaction. If this piracy is not stopped it will just get worse. I am interested in other views or solutions.

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Bombs, Great big mother F'n bombs. Early and often for a prolonged period of time. :eek:

4. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

An aircraft carrier blowing every pirate looking boat outside of coastal waters somoila up would do the trick. A pass with the 20 mm cannon would sink most pirate ships

5. shane0911

Talk about your understatments. Have you seen the destruction a 20mm cannon can cause? If you call turning their little boats into toothpicks "sinking" then yeah I'd say that would do the trick. I'd love to see it personally.:)

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

A couple of AC-130 gunships could wreck the whole Somali pirate and fishing fleet overnight and it would feel good. We can't do it for three important reasons:

1. There are 800 hostages that are not ours, all from other countries that would be executed if we hit the pirates. This will not help us in foreign relations. We have to get the hostages out first and allow no more to be taken. Only then can they be hit hard militarily.

2. It really ain't our fight. The world community is waiting for us to do something to save their ships. None of the captured ships or hostages are American. Most are European owned and officered with Asian crews. The US has practically no merchant fleet anymore, most of our non-military goods are shipped on Liberian or Panamanian flagged vessels without US crews. Let Panama and Liberia rescue their own people and ships. Let Norway and Denmark rescue their own. Let the countries that own the ships and crews deal with the pirates or at least pay for any UN/US force to deal with it.

3. Only two US ships have been hijacked and all of the pirates involved were either killed or captured. We are taking care of our own.

7. shane0911

Yep

Sucks to be them. What the hell are they doing in Somolia? There is no logical reason for anyone of any importance to be there. They should have stayed home.

Target Practice

The trend should continue and become a bit more "proactive"

Phuck em and feed em fisheads. (Not the fishead, that guy is ahight)

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Uhhhh . . . they were captured by pirates.

9. shane0911

Uhhhh, are there pirates around the bahamas? Virgin Islands? Jamaica? PR? Hawaii? Get my drift? See my above post. There is no logical explanation for why anyone would be in that sh1thole of a place. If they wish to vacation, they should go somewhere that does not have effing pirates so we don't have to worry about their dumbasses being captured. Now it is inherent upon us to play this silly ass game. I feel no sympathy for these people. They should stay home or travel heavily armed at the least.

10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Cargo shipping lanes go through the Indian Ocean.