Some random thoughts...please add yours

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by NJtiger, Jan 9, 2008.

1. NJtiger

NJtiger Founding Member

A few thoughts, some from while I was watching the game and some a result of further reflection:

Couldn't believe Tressel's coaching affect/method--he was looking at a piece of paper all the time like he was reading the instructions for his new digital camera or something. Not looking at what was going on really, just studying his flow chart. Compare that to Miles who is always looking at the game, sort of studying it, squinting, talking to staff, making choices and giving directions. I love watching the gears in his brain go round and round!

Speed was on LSU's side--but it wasn't so much individual player speed but the speed of SEC football. SEC teams are playing at a faster pace. OSU players aren't lard-asses the way that guy Freeman on CBS Sports' site said (actually they looked thinner than a lot of our guys, and younger, too) but they're not expecting the many twists and turns of the game plot they were faced with. It's almost a different level of play, something you get used to if you're in the conference, but something you're not used to if you're not. Ohio State could get used to it, but not sure Tressel could coach it.

The long layoff the Big 10 insists on for its teams is a big liability. Not playing for 8+ weeks is just a recipe for disaster. Michigan overcame it but only barely. It was compounded by the fact that OSU players were in a strange city with lots of time on their hands outside practice but weren't allowed in the French Quarter. Paul Dietzel said in a pre-game interview that taking your team to a bowl game is tough, and LSU was lucky that most of the players didn't feel like tourists in New Orleans this week.

That video of bulletin board material Tressel gave his players was not a good idea. Like someone else said, it made the players angry and contributed to unsportsmanlike conduct rather than focused effort.

On game day here in Baton Rouge everyone was wearing purple and gold. Even grannies and infants. Calandro's closed early. It was similar to Christmas in terms of the effect of the event on this town.

They're selling Columbus newspapers on Ebay with the coverage of the game. The Cleveland Plain Dealer's main sports columnist wrote a scathing article about how OSU was totally unprepared. The media, including the Ohio media, was impressed by LSU's performance. Michigan people are saying that Coach Rod should be afraid because if he doesn't perform ASAP everyone will call for his firing and lobby to hire Coach Miles.:milesmic:

Everyone but Mark Richt knows we're Number One. This may not happen again in our lifetimes. This is a time to savor and enjoy to the fullest.:crystal:

2 people like this.
  2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Slamming a beer bottle to the floor at your dad's house probably isn't thesmartest thing in the world to do. Especially if the game is less than 5 minutes old.

1 person likes this.
  3. Berge

Berge Founding Member

I disagree. A layoff effect would come from starting out sloppy.

OSU executed flawlessly for the 1st 4 minutes of the game.

4. GEAUXARMY

GEAUXARMY Founding Member

Like I said in a previous post, that "motivational" BS and DVD set those guys up for failure. They came out strong with adrenaline and emotion then as LSU took over the game they looked drained and confused. Also playing such a crappy schedule set them up for failure, they were not tested and did not know how to handle the pressure of being behind on the scoreboard to an elite team.

:milesmic: :LSU231: :geauxtige :crystal: :crystal: :crystal:

5. kcal

kcal Founding Member

was it just me seeing things or did mf forget to put in his mouthpiece on the 1st 2 series. looked like it was stuck in his headgear.

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

please god, no. not that madness again. at least not for a few years.:rolleye33:

or then again, it may. :thumb:

7. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

when screaming and swearing at the tv in the first 5 minutes of the game, greenie was not unhappy to hear me say i was gonna go watch the game in my office, by myself. then he left the house just to be on the safe side.:hihi:

8. paducahmichael

paducahmichael Tiger Band Class of '73

I saw the same. Wondered if he was really nervous or just thinking too hard about other stuff. But he definitely had it stuck at top of facemask for AT LEAST the first series.

Odd, huh? :eek:ldskule:

9. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

These aren't mine, but the read was entertaining..

The whole thing can be found [HERE].

10. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

That was a cool read. A long read, but cool. :D