Something I just noticed about the brackets...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by areed7, Feb 17, 2009.

1. areed7

areed7 Founding Member

I was looking at the latest prediction on ESPN, and it has us going to Minneapolis as a 7 seed. I thought to myself "that sure is a long way away. I wonder how much closer they'd put us if we won the SEC tourney and ended up a 4-5 seed?" So I looked at the other possible cities:
    Dayton
    Miami
    Boise
    Kansas City
    Philadelphia
    Portland
    Greensboro

So the closest we could be is, Kansas? South Beach?

Not only does that seem ridiculously anti-LSU, but the entire South is getting the short end of the stick. Texas schools, and most of the SEC has to travel much farther than the rest of the country. Previous year there were venues in Bama, Little Rock, Houston, Memphis, etc.

I May be making too much out of this, but I'd hate to see LSU go to Minneapolis and have 50 fans travel along...

2. Berge

Berge Founding Member

In 2005, LSU was a 6-seed and was sent to Boise.

But you are right. They got rid of the North, South, East, West regional titles so they could ignore the areas and just send it to the money.

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Last year they were in Raleigh, Little Rock, Tampa, Houston, Charlotte, and Birmingham. That's half of the bracket and the final four was in San Antonio.

It rotates and they have to make money. The south gets quite a few venues considering not many teams actually play in the tournament.

They do north, south, east, west seeding and that is their number one focus. Obviously not all 65 teams are going to be happy.

4. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

San Antonio would be ideal.

Wonder why they don't have one in Biloxi?:huh:

5. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

the women tourny regional will be played right here in BR

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

KC, Miami and Greensboro are the same distance from BR (900 miles), so at least there are several sites that are possible?:sob:

Memphis is a regional site.

how about the SW US. closest is boise? 1100 miles.

im sure its always tough for them to work it out, but i dont think it should ever be in Miami, orlando or tampa. they are just too far away from anywhere

7. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

It's been 20 years since the men's tournament opening rounds were played at home sites.

8. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Which is why it is very unlikely the women will not get a bid to the tournament.

Either a few thousand tickets sold, or a couple hundred.

9. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Purdue and Memphis St raised a big stink in 86 when LSU hosted the 1st and second rounds as a 12 seed a proceeded to dispatch them accordingly. They resolved to make it "fair" in future tourneys in spite of the fact LSU smoked Georgia Tech on their floor in the Sweet Sixteen the same season.