Sounds and thoughts from Kentucky!!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by EliteLSU1, Nov 10, 2002.

1. EliteLSU1

EliteLSU1 Founding Member

I was on my way home to Port Allen from Kentucky where I was on a hunting trip. We listened to the game on the way home. I am a huge supporter of the tigers win, lose or draw and I have to agree with these announcers from Kentucky. They said several times after overthrown balls to wide open recievers that Marcus Randall was not a very good quarterback. I think that it is a shame that this kid is the best that we have. We are supposed to be the major university of this state and that is the best that we could recruit. I'm not blaming Saban or his staff because they came in late in the recruiting season. I'm not here to bash MR either. I FEEL THAT ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN IN THE SYSTEM FOR THREE YEARS SHOULD NOT HAVE TO WEAR A WRISTBAND WITH ALL OF THE PLAYS ON IT!!!
    If any of you really believe that we will win the rest of our games with this guy as our quarterback then it is time for a reality check. I don't know how we rush for as many yards as we do with so many defenders in the box. When it is 3rd and 8 and the only call the coaches are brave enough to let this guy run is the quarterback sneak, that tells you how little confidence they really have in this kid.
    I was at Saban's radio show at Superior Grill when he made the announcement about Mauck being out for the rest of the season. For any of you that thinks that ya'll know who should be starting and who is better than who, then pay close attention to this. He said that the one thing that MR does that concerns him is that he continually overthrows the recievers. Every INT against AU was overthrown and every pass thrown for an incompletion was overthrown. I didn't see the game but I heard from the KY announcers that he is constantly 10-15 yards overthrowing the recievers. They also said that had we had a good QB the game would have never been in question.

2. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

It is only his 3rd start back off of the guy. He is still learning. Is he a great QB? No. Is he horrible? Far from it. He is growing each week I feel comfortable with him running the offense.

3. VP-TIGER

VP-TIGER Freshman

that was your problem, you listened to the game. MR might not be the greatest but it is only his 3rd start. As for wearing a wristband with the plays on it, you must not watch to much footbal. Almost all QB's wear that, including the pro's. I get frustrated too but he's going to get better each game. And we did win, in case you did not hear.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

A pessimist and a critic.

Damn, Elite, you are a real downer. Jeez, man, cheer up. You sound like the type who wins the lottery and bitches about the tax.

5. Hub

Hub Founding Member

RIDICULOUS!!!

What MR did or didn't do had absolutely zero bearing on the game being so close. What did have a serious impact was the piss pore defense we played in the 2nd half.

You want to pick out something that would cause us not to win anymore games.....keep playing defense like that and it'll come true.

6. burlesontiger

burlesontiger Founding Member

My take on MR's performance: ZERO Interceptions. With where we are at this year, injuries, etc., having a young man like Marcus come in with no experience, that is what you are looking for. He is not expected to win the games for us (although it's nice to see that he can :) ! ), his job is to not make mistakes to lose it. He filled that role on Saturday. I don't see how anyone can complain about that.

7. EliteLSU1

Reality Check

First Tigersaint, That is exactly what I am saying is that Saban is the correct person to make the decision about who is playing. I agree that he is the best that we have. That is the problem that I have. He shouldn't be the best that we have. We should be able to recruit better.
    BIGJ4LSU, No one in there right mind can sit here and honestly say that they are comfortable with a second string QB running the offense. At least I can be honest whether you like what I say or not. The coaching staff isn't even comfortable with him running the offense when they won't allow him to throw the ball down the field on third and eight.
    VPTIGER, I did see somewhere that we won. Is that how you would like to see us win? Or is that the only chance you would like to see us have a chance to win every game?
    HUB, The defense didn't live up to its billing the second half. But, if the QB hits a wide open reciever that is behind the defender and he scores, would we have needed to throw the ball in that situation? Or if the QB can complete just a few passes down the field wouldn't it be easier for us to run and take time off of the clock.
    BURLESONTIGER, If that last second pass is what you consider him winning the game for us then you need to consider that any QB that can throw the ball as far down the field could have won that game for us.

ALL I OFFERED WAS A "HONEST" OPINION. I DIDN'T ASK FOR ANY OF YOU TO LIKE IT. I LOVE THE TIGERS AND WILL BE THERE AND CHEER WIN-LOSE OR DRAW. BUT I CAN ALSO BE HONEST ABOUT WHAT I SEE.

8. tigerb8

tigerb8 Founding Member

Actually b4 the freak injury MR had during the spring, he and Mauck were about even, with Mauck getting most of the fall staps with the 1st teamers he managed to put a little distance between him and MR, Mauck was not very pretty at the VT game , but showed a gradual improvement till he had his best game at UF, now we need to give MR the same chance we gave Mauck, He is learning every game so far, the SC was almost too easy for him( in a QB mistake catagory) and he panicked at AU, we all have growing pains , the wristband?, JF is a excellent OC and has changed the play calling/plays to more fit MR's ability's. He's had a very short time to learn them in a game situation and JF is probley changing them week to week trying to find that magic combo that works with MR and the rest of the team. Give him a break, he is the best we have , we alredy have commitments from a couple of the best QB's in the nation for next year, but if MR can correct that depth perception thing we might have to redshirt em.

9. diehardLSUfan

diehardLSUfan Founding Member

A true Tiger Fan...

..would have been WATCHING the game like the rest of us were. And as far as your question about 2nd string qb, it's not like Mauck is way better than Randall.

10. EliteLSU1

I just wanted to bring this post back...

in case some of these people had a case of memory loss!!!