South Carolina may be getting a little too "cocky"

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MarineTiger, Apr 26, 2005.

1. BB

BB Founding Member

Of course. In the meantime, however, SC needs to do all it can to get money pumping through the program while everyone is excited. Spurrier is a high maintenance man on campus and he will have expensive demands. Now is the time to fuel the fire...

2. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Yup, I think you're definitely correct on that point. Spurrier is already dug in deeper than a tick and the fans really see him as a savior for SC football. I don't know if many of you have been to Columbia for a game, but the Gamecock fans really support their program well.....not on the same scale as LSU or UT, but loyal nonetheless.

What many people fail to remember about Spurrier is the massive budget infusion received by UF athletics during the Foley/Spurrier era..... one of the richest in D-1 sports, and deserving of credit for part of UF's successes during the 80's & 90's. UF quickly became the class of the conference for facilities and support infrastucture in a very short period of time.

I'm willing to bet that Spurrier will attempt to replicate the model for success he flourished under during his time in Gainesville. With a strong AD, a loyal (and growing) fanbase, and no shortage of capital project donations, he might just succeed where Holtz did not.

3. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

UCF - W
    UGA - L
    ALA - L
    TROY - Pick 'em
    AU - L
    UK - W
    VAN - W
    UT - L
    ARK - W
    UF - L
    CLEM - L

Spurrier will be looking at a 5-6 record at best. :cry: :thumb:

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

when he was at UF, spurrier basically had a monopoly over his region in terms of recruiting compared to the rest of the SEC east (and west, really). safe to say that's no longer the case.

5. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I wouldn't go that far, in calling it a monopoly, because he also had to deal with his instate rivals.

Spurrier still had to contend with Miami and FSU, who were both nationally competitive during the 90's, so it wasn't that much of a dominating situation.

Spurrier never won a game in Tallahassee. Even during his NC season, he won the second game of the season against FSU, not the first.

All of the competition that saw Meyer coming stepped up their recruiting in south Florida. UT and UGA alone pulled about 9 kids out of Florida and away from Meyer's first recruiting class.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

The South Carolina boosters have alwys raised a ton of money and kept their facilites at the top. I agree that with Spurrier they could really get in a boatload of dough if he wins early.

7. BB

BB Founding Member

What?

He competed in-state with Dennis Erickson, Larry Coker, and Bobby Bowden. Not exactly a shabby bunch of recruiters.

Regionally, he competed with Fulmer, Gene Stallings, and Bobby Ross.

Let's be fair and let's give credit where it's due. Like Spurrier or not, the man has a track record and credibility, and he's OWNED this league while competing for recruits in a shark tank...

8. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

I can see it now.....Their athletic dorm ADSEG unit will be the toast of the conference. :hihi:

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

south carolina probably has the greatest fan support relative to (i sound like saban) actual success. they've really accomplished nothing but their following is somewhat of a marvel.

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

ahem...note the "SEC" emphasis.