Sportline article: LSU/Florida the greatest rivalry in college football?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerinAustin, Dec 14, 2007.

1. TigerinAustin

TigerinAustin Founding Member

2. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

i like this article. good angle. and the above pulp fiction part is icing on the cake. (for those that didn't read it), it's an older gator fan trying to explain to a younger gator fan, why the UF-auburn rivalry used to be important.

3. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Now THAT is a classic. :thumb:

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I got half way through it before I realized what was going on....and that's one of my favorite movies.

5. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Most of the people I know here are gator fans and as they don't consider us as big of sa rivalry as georgia or tenn they definately consider us 3rd on their list.

Plus I can promise you with me around them lsu quickly vaults itself to #1 rivaly!!!

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

That's mainly because they have to beat out GA and TN for the SEC East, not LSU. But the annual Florida/LSU rivalry is a hell of a rivalry these days. At the beginning of these season, Sport's Illustrated ranked the LSU/Florida game as the #1 game to watch this year (followed by OK vs TX and MICH vs OSU). The Florida game this year was the biggest tailgating turn out I've ever seen at LSU.

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

There's a big difference between a "#1 game to watch" and a "Rivalry".

Just for example, most would say the same about the LSU/Ohio St. game- as far as one of THE games to watch- but it's surely no rivalry. :thumb:

8. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

As far as the biggest non-rivalry/media game, we probably have have taken the spot of the old matchups of Tennessee-Florida.

9. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

I tend to agree with OrlandoTiger, in that we really don't have a big rival, like bama/auburn or USC/UCLA etc. We have big games, depending on what's happening at the time, like trying to win the division, the conference or a big bowl game. Auburn and Fla. have been big games for us, because along with us, they've been the best teams in the conference that we play every year. And Auburn keeps spicing it up, smoking cigars, chop blocking.

Ole Miss was big in the 50's and 60's, but not meaning any disrespect, they've kind of fell into the low tier of the conference, although I think they stil think of us as big game, the Egg Bowl is bigger to them.

10. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I'd say the lack of rivalry between LSU and Florida has more to do with it not being competitive through the 90's. If both programs continue to stay on top, then we might have something.