Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

State Palace Theater Raves

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by LaSalleAve, Jul 11, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I vaguely remember a thread we discussed this, but couldn't find it. how many of you went to the old Freebass Parties @ State Palace?

Anyone still dig house music and techno?
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

When you say freebass are you talking about a free fish fry or did you mispell freebase?

Once time I heard a guy say he had over 2000 techno songs on his iPad. I wonder why anybody would need more than one. Aren't they all the same?
    plotalot likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'm not familiar with the tearm "house music." Is this the music in your house?

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos I'm self-smart

"Freebass Society" was the name the promoter, Donnie Estopinal, used when producing the shows. And no, it's not misspelled. It has since changed to Disco Productions.

I was a fixture at the SPT parties for a few years. Even DJ'd there a few times. That shit was a blast.

I still listen to a lot of electronic music, although drum n bass is the only genre you would have heard there that I still listen to. I'll never give-up dnb! I might occasionally listen to a little bit of house, but only rarely and for a short duration.
  5. LaSalleAve

Ahhhh a fellow Supa Phat Hong Kong Phooey. So many good times, I still fucks around with the turntables and play undergrounds every now and then, club here, club there. DNB was cool, but techno and house was my thing, and now house music has slowed waaaaaay down, and it's super palatable for my old Stoney ass. Here's the last set I recorded, if you ever wanna listen to some groovy ass house.

http://m.soundcloud.com/djb00gz/room36-ent-pres-yes-by-the-infamous-peanut-weasel-mcgaugh
  6. Contained Chaos

Sweet. I'll check that out. I've got a couple of mixes floating around somewhere. All DnB, of course.

My crowning achievement as a DJ (other than playing for a room full of 300 crazed jungle heads at SPT) was successfully mixing Pink Floyd's "On the Run" seamlessly into Dragonsword's "Center of the System". I actually gave a copy of the demo to Dragonsword (aka Blame) and he said he was "blown away". I also got to open up for Danny the Wildchild and Raiden at a couple of shows we put on at Club Culture in BTR. Fun, fun fucking times.
  7. LaSalleAve

Awesome, I've played with Dmitri from Dee Lite, Simply Jeff, Huda Hudia, Chris Anderson, and a bunch of other dudes eons ago. My favorite DNB dudes were Dara, and 3D from Chicago.
  8. Contained Chaos

3D was bad ass. "Old to the New" was one of the first DnB tracks that I fell in love with.

I got to hang with Dara a couple of times at the SPT. Very cool & down to earth guy.

Still have an old mix tape (you read that right) that I got from Simply Jeff when he played at 735 one night. I saw it the other day when I was cleaning out a closet. I wondered if I'd ever be able to listen to it again, considering that I don't even own a tape player, yet I still couldn't bring myself to chunk it.
  9. LaSalleAve

dude you would shit if you saw all the mixtapes i still have. fuck i even have a tape deck that plays them.
  10. Rolan

Rolan Live from Houston

Yeah I used to frequent State Palace in my younger wilder days. A couple of my college buddies are still DJs. I spent a few crazy nights in Tampa with Huda Hudia in the summer of 95 I think. Met him through a couple guys that worked for me. They introduced me to a few things that summer.