Surprises and disappointments

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Pastimer, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

Now that the ink is dry on the 2004 grant-in-aids, here is a question about recruits living up to expectations: Who are some notable LSU players over the years who were not big time recruits and far exceeded expectations and who are some blue chippers who badly underachieved or did nothing?

A list of the surprises might include Dalton Hilliard, Herb Tyler, perhaps Jack Hunt.

Notable flops (I hate to use that term) could include players like Brad Smalling.
    Maybe Stan Humphries.

Take a stab at it and come up with some good lists.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Stan Humphries was the starting QB in a Super Bowl. Maybe his coach at LSU didn't recognize his abilities.

3. BB

BB Founding Member

Corey Webster - wasn't even on the recruiting list the year Saban came to BR.

Josh Reed surprised me

Brian Beshara (?) - surprised me

Cecil Collins may have been one of the best football players I have ever seen play in person and he blew it

Torris Bright - he had a good career and played his tail off at LSU, but I was definitely expecting more after he left HS

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Geert Hammack, the Dunkin' Dutchman was a backup to Shaq and surprised everybody by how good he was when Shaq left. He got drafted by the Orlando Magic where he became Shaq's backup again.

5. TigerRuss

TigerRuss Freshman

Big flop

Had to be Tyrone Malone-the cant miss linebacker from Texas:(
    Thought of a couple more1 Robert Davis from Alabama was supposed to be a cant miss back.2Another dissapointment was another RB from that class(Cant remember his name but it was the kid from Wiggins, Miss) Artie Moore?

Biggest surprise was Herb Tyler (remember he was too small to play football):lsug:

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Josh Booty

7. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

Can we include all the Bootys who came to LSU.