Ted Kennedy being buried in Arlington

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by BamaBengalTiger, Aug 26, 2009.

1. BamaBengalTiger

BamaBengalTiger Geaux Tigers !!!!!

What is the criteria for being buried in Arlington National Cemetary. I always thought you had to be a vet. I see no where in his bio that he served in the US Military.
    Just curious, that's all, and all of you always seem to have the answers.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

3 years military service. Spent time in Paris, dad's connection kept him out of the Korean War. He was discharged as a PFC. I believe elected officials are also eligible.

3. BamaBengalTiger

K. Didn't see that on his Bio. Of course I doubt he wanted anyone to know he was in the military.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

According to the official Arlington National Cemetery site, any active-duty member of the U.S. armed forces or American veteran retired from active service is eligible for burial there. Veterans who are retired from the reserves are eligible for burial in Arlington if they served in active duty, reached the age of 60, and drew retired pay.

Also, any former member of the armed forces who was discharged honorably for medical reasons and rated 30% disabled or more prior to October 1, 1949, can be buried in Arlington. Any former member of the armed forces who received one of these decorations is eligible: Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star, or Purple Heart. In addition, all former presidents of the U.S. are allowed an Arlington burial (only two are currently buried there -- William Taft and John F. Kennedy).

Confederate veterans are not eligible even though Arlington Plantation is located in Virginia and was stolen from Robert E. Lee in 1863.

5. BamaBengalTiger

Well I do not see where Ted Kennedy falls in any of those catagories. I am a lot more eligible than him. Guess that's why I asked the question. Money can buy you a lot (senate seat), and get you out of a lot (manslaughter). Whatever.... Yet, he is being call the greatest Senator that ever lived. Don't know the man, but just not buying it...

1 person likes this.
  6. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Thereby insuring that crooks can be buried alongside heroes.

7. BamaBengalTiger

He wasn't a crook. Already had money. Just crooked....

8. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

According to the article I just read, Senators are allowed to be buried there, and he was also considered to be on "active duty" during the Korean War, though he is no veteran...

Now... My opinion... That POS is a disgrace and should be nowhere near that cemetery...

1 person likes this.
  9. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Splitting hairs, are we? :hihi:

10. PodKATT

PodKATT Time to Put Your Pants On

Aren't all fallen astronauts buried there? sure the Apollo 1 guys are all navy test pilots, but some of the folks on Challenger and Columbia were just scientists.