Tell about your very first job

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by phlashman, Apr 2, 2008.

1. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

Your very first "real" job (or at least ones your folks made ya go do for $$$)...

My first was when I was 15 I think. Had to paint some things at this old fellows house my Dad knew. When he offered me the "riches" involved ($200)...I flew out the door and asked when could I start. After a week reality set in (This chit is "hard"!!!) Sanding, caulking, moving ladders, etc, etc, etc...one day the old guy was out showing me what paint to use for what etc. When he showed me a little trick to make the paint "shinier" (it was oil based)...take a little motor oil, drop it in and voila! He left me to my duties and was gone for quite a while. Wouldn't ya know it. I ran outa paint, I went back to redo what he had taught me. When I came up with a brainstorm...if a little motor oil made the paint shiny, then a lot would make it look like glass!!! (I'm thinking bonus here after 3 weeks of work). Loaded that old paint with the old 30 weight and went back to work. Old guy was pleased when he got home. Several days later he called my Dad telling him he thought something was wrong with the paint cause it was still wet!!! I think I just kinda slunk off somewhere. Funny thing is, I bet that chits still wet to this day.:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

2 people like this.
  2. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Great thread!!!

I have a ton of funny stories that I will get to soon but right now I am driving down I-10.

But I will be back! This thread should keep me entertained perfectly on the trip!

3. DJM136

DJM136 fubar 24/7

Summers when I was 16 & 17 years old, first job as gas station attendent, yes this was back in the day. Gas wars, S&H green stamps, gas shortage, prices going up to 50 cents a gallon. We had to get new pumps that went over $9.99, needed double digit dollars for a tank with prices that high. I worked from 6am to 6pm, 6 days a week for........... $90 a week. I was rich too, cause I had no time to spend it! Filled up tanks, ran credit cards thru old machine or handled cash, changed oil, fixed tires, installed batteries, washed cars for $3.50 (aaaahhh!), cleaned the bays. When a chick drove in, I always washed her windshield extry good!

A story you ask? Ok. Most gas tanks opened behind the license plate, I had a car filling and was cleaning the windshield when I heard a metal "clunk". I looked back and the nozzle had fallen out but was still locked and flowing all over the concrete. I sprint back to grab it and SWOOP I slipped on the gas and landed flat on my azz in the gas holding the nozzle up trying to get it shut off. Finally did, when the laughter died down, the old codger who owned the car said "I ain't payin for that gas you spilled all over". s.o.m.f.b.!

Still have one of my Exxon shirts, but I can't fit in it any more. I have very fond memories of those days.

4. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

My first real job was working for a local creamery. I worked on the milk line. Empty cartons would be filled up and sealed on an assembly line. I absoutely hated it. Pure drudgery.

5. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

I worked at Just for Feet outside Cortana when I was 16. I often flirted too much with the customers but always had great sales at the end of the day.

There was a guy who worked in the shoe dept who kept asking me out but I kept saying no. I really wasnt interested in dating anyone from work. He found out my favorite movie was Top Gun and sang "You've lost the loving feeling" over the speakers one morning after we opened in front of the customers and employees. I couldn't say no that time.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Car Hop at Hoppers Drive Inn near USL. I was 16 and between my Jr and Sr years in HS. I could run full out with a tray full of food and drinks balanced on one hand up in the air (as long as the drinks had ice in 'em). I still can.:thumb:

7. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Had a summer job when I was 15 as a busboy at a local restaurant. I think the manager must have told everyone that I was 18. Certainly improved my standing with the hostesses.

That was a good summer.

8. qball316

qball316 Founding Member

My parents had a grocery store and they had me stocking shelves at 8 yrs old. They sold it when I was 13 and I went cut grass for my uncle's yard service for almost nothing. It was mainly to keep me out of trouble. At 16 yrs old I got my first "official" job at a local Winn Dixie.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Worked in the Airman's mess hall on an air base as a summer civilian employee. Started in the clipper running a dishwashing machine--hot, steamy room and constant work. I improved my prospects by ending up working "center aisle" on the chow line. Easy money. I just stood there leaning on a mop in case some doofus spilled something and there were not many doofuses. About once an hour I changed the milk bladder in the stainless steel cow and that was it.

10. phlashman

phlashman Founding Member

Life has some crazy twists and turns don't it...