Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Testosterone

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by lsu99, Jan 9, 2014.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I'm 36 and have never had my testosterone levels checked. I'm guessing it's fine due to my general age, diet/exercise, and energy levels. Over the past few years, there has been a huge increase in OTC testosterone boosters and also prescribed from doctors.

My perception is that a portion of this increase is for men who really need it and a portion for those that don't. For those that don't, they do receive benefits from taking testosterone supplements at the huge risk of negative long term effects.

I plan to test my levels as I get into my 40s. I've seen a wide range of "normal" levels (think it's 300 - 1,100 or something). If I'm at 600 (for example), is it better to get to 1,000?

I'd also like to focus on naturally improving levels so that I can avoid artificial means later in life. Over the past year, I've started doing a 24 hr fast about once/month because of the alleged health benefits (including the claim that your body starts to produce more testosterone). I've read a few other things you can do but not sure which ones have the most impact.

Also, I know testosterone is less important for women but still plays a role. Any feedback on this area for men vs women is also welcome.
  2. fanatic

fanatic Buckle your seatbelts...

Most testosterone boosters are garbage. The best medication on the market is AndroGel. It's not a booster though. It's actually a clear gel. The only problem is you need a prescription for it and it's expensive as hell, even with insurance.
  3. TigersTailgating

TigersTailgating Waterford Lesticles

Basically. All of the so-called testosterone boosters you can buy OTC at GNC and other supplement chains are crap... they're expensive, don't work and in some cases have ingredients you just shouldn't put in your body.

Androl Gel is an actual testosterone gel, hence the CIII classification, it's basically nothing more than a fast ester testosterone in a topical lotion... but because of the low doses in each use, it takes months to reach the desired testosterone levels. Money wise Androgel isn't worth it.

The best method for raising ones testosterone levels would be to get labs done then speak to your doctor. Testosterone Cypionate is a medium ester test that stays in the system a little longer, but the draw back is most physicians try to give the lowest dose (around 200mgs) once every two weeks. All this does is create an uo and down effect where you have high levels then low levels which can be detrimental as esteogen can rear its ugly head when in deficiency mode. This can create issues.

Try to find a doctor that will do a 200mg weekly dose. Optimal doses for fat loss, add a little lean muscle and over all healthy sex and everything else life is around 400-600mgs week... the object is to keep the serum levels constant and not fluctuating.
  4. fanatic

fanatic Buckle your seatbelts...

That's basicall exactly what I said, with just a little more detail.
  5. TigersTailgating

TigersTailgating Waterford Lesticles

Sort of yes...
  6. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

I take deer antler velvet extract IGF-1
  7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos I'm self-smart

Pound a hamburger, wash it down with some scotch, then get busy with the table saw...works for me. :cool:

I keed (I mean, I do all of those things, but I don't know if it's effective). I think I read somewhere recently that an increase in your testosterone level can induce depression, which is nothing to take lightly.
  8. tigahfromhell

tigahfromhell Freshman

The testosterone thing is much like anything else. Use it or lose it. The pharmacy outfits and health stores have been pushing a rather sophisticated version of the "castration complex". It makes men worry when they shouldn't. As noted on heretofore on here, the OTC stuff is crap. If you do the prescription route, just keep in mind that you run a greater risk of enlarged prostrate as well as a greater potential for prostrate or testicular cancer (with the former being the greater risk of the two). Sex hormones in excess turn on us as we get into latter middle age, which is why our bodies are designed to decrease production at that point in life. However, that doesn't mean that you put your manhood on the shelf. Some of the same rules we should have abided by back in our earlier years still apply - eating properly, getting some exercise, and getting a proper amount of sleep. Yes, you have to learn to pace yourself a little differently as the rules change as you age. I have been divorced for about six years and am pushing 60. I am still working to put the kids through college. I make some personal time for myself and a special lady who is years younger. I still enjoy sex as does she. No supplements needed.

For you younger critters, just to let you know there is hope, my ex-wife had an uncle who fathered his second family in his early 70's. Granted, it helped that the girl was in her early 20's. However, before meeting her, he was all drawn up with arthritis. After spending a month in the sack with her, he seemed to tap out every bit of his arthritis, and moved about quite well until about a couple of years before his death (in his early 90's). Up to a reasonable extent - exercise, nutrition, moderation, and sex are some great keys to maintaining a man's vigor.
  9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Perhaps off topic but the post above from tigahfromhell had me pondering a thought I've had in the past:

Does sleeping around with different women (think Tiger, Michael Jordan, Mike Tyson in their primes) improve the natural production of testosterone, which leads to improved athletic performance?
  10. tigahfromhell

tigahfromhell Freshman

No, not really. Yes, our desire to sleep around comes from the survival instinct to "spread the seed". However, it really does not make much of a difference who you ejaculate in. If your wife/girlfriend and you are still horny for each other, that will do. Otherwise, if you're already married, get a good lawyer, reserve yourself a good spot under a bridge for sleeping, and stake out a few garbage cans for eating. Girls have a tendency to get real upset when our penises stray.