Texas in the SEC?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by dudley, Feb 14, 2010.

1. dudley

dudley oops!

Well, it aint gonna happen anytime soon but...I've heard rumblings for years about Colorado pulling out of the Big 12 and joining the Pac10, Missouri pulling out and joining the Big11 (That would make the Big 10 the Big 12 and the Big 12 the Big 11 if you follow me there). Now I'm reading about the Big 10 going after Texas or even the PAC 10 interested in Texas.

I don't see either happening but what about Texas in the SEC? I got plenty o' pros and cons but I think I'll just sit back and listen.:popcorn:

2. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

From a competitive standpoint, they would be better off in the Big 10 or PAC 10.

Geographically it would make sense for UT to join the SEC. But competitively they would go from being the big dog to just another pupply.

3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I don't see them joining a conference where they'd be "just another team"...

4. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

geographically it hardly makes sense for LSU and Arkansas to be in the SEC since most teams are concentrated in the deep southeast; texas would be too far west.

i think it would be awesome to have another program the caliber of UT in the SEC. it would make the SEC even tougher, so i'm not sure i'd be for them moving to the SEC from that perspective, but it would be interesting. it would make it tougher for LSU in baseball and football (basketball too,) but to be the best, you have to beat the best. anyway, not gonna happen. ever. :wink:

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

doesnt make sense. in football its traditionally tex and ou as the big dogs. as pointed out, they would be just another team in the sec.

if a texas team were to join the sec, atm makes more sense. but still not really. hell, i still cant get used to arkansas in the sec. to me they will always be swac.

6. Mike in Memphis

Mike in Memphis Old Tiger

How about --- LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Neb., Texas, Texas A & M, Kansas, Kansas State?
    Maybe add Baylor and Tulane so everyone else could have at least one win a season.
    TV markets may be a bit of a problem, and it really really will never happen, but it would make some interesting schedules.
    :eek:ldskule:

1 person likes this.
  7. OkieTigerTK

no no no. leaving the sec would be the stupidest thing lsu could ever do. ask tulane.

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

swac? thats a bit harsh.

9. OkieTigerTK

sorry. sw(no a)conference. that was a blonde moment. :redface:

maybe that was a freudian slip on what i think of arky.

10. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

The texas fan base are constantly talking about a super conference somewhere. It seems to me that the SEC with it's tie in with ESPN and by extention ABC as well as our TV contract with CBS has pretty much created the impression with the college football nation, we are that super conference in exposure. Not the least of which is financial prosperity. The dominance in the BCS sounds it down further.

The Big 12 could make a reasonable argument their conference is the second best in the country. Why the unrest? Unless Colorado and Missouri just don't feel they can compete with the Big two. So why would that get better?

If texas goes I'll be surprised, even more if they wanted a crack at the SEC.