That other Shep.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Oct 26, 2009.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Kelvin Sheppard has 57 tackles this season which leads the team. I cannot even begin to tell you how much 11 has improved. Seems like the last decade it has always been a safety that lead the team in tackles, except for 07 Steltz and Highsmith tied for team lead with 101, Cameron Vaughn in 05, and Bradie James in 02.

John Chavis has done a remarkable job with Riley, Cutrera, Sheppard, and Coleman. Our linebacker play has been lights out, and i would take this crew over the crew at Bama any day.

Sheppard is only a Jr. also.
    :geauxtige

2. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I always thought he had tremendous potential because he is so athletic. He just needed to learn to not rely just on talent alone like he did in HS. This year he is continuing to improve each game. He is taking much better angles, his tackling is much better, and coverage as well. Im really liking Chavis a lot. Great to see Shepards talent now being harnessed with smart play. Shows how important coaching up talent really is.

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Sheppard hae been playing great ever since he first made his way onto the field as Ryan Perrilloux on special teams. He finally has his chance to start and is making the best of it. He's also the first one on the defense to run and congratulate teammates. A leader out on the field.

4. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

Dude has blown up. Sheppard, Ryan Baker, and either a converted safety or Minter/Tahj Jones. We'll have a very strong LB core next year, tons of speed.

I'd love to see Sheppard in the middle with Minter/Jones/converted safety and Baker on the outside.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Our Linebacker play was horrible last year. And these guys have stepped up and been great this season, and have improved week after week after week. It says alot about your defense when the Linebackers are making the majority of the tackles on your team. It means people aren't getting to the 3rd level as much because the 2nd level is stopping them. Seriously, LSU could have the best back 7 in the NCAA. John Chavis may also have turned Coleman and Riley into draft picks, and maybe even Cutrera. I think Coleman gets drafted for sure, and Riley for sure late, but Cutrera may even go in the 6th or 7th.

6. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Riley should definitely be drafted, he is a damn solid LB. Great NFL size and speed. He has a few things to work on but should definitely be drafted and make a team.

I wonder about Coleman though. I think he will be drafted or picked up, but at what position? He is still only around 205-210. Either way is way too slight for LB in the NFL. He will have to convert back to S. I think his future would be at S.

7. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

Coleman will be a good ST player and could develop into a starting SS in the NFL.

8. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

I have not been happy with the strategy taken but I have to say they are making the plays when they have to.... I will be more pleased the more pressure they put on the QB.

Coleman played a great game the other day.

9. downtown

downtown Founding Member

Yeah, I haven't always been crazy about the strategy, but they were blitzing the LBs and other guys on Saturday and bringing real consistent pressure for the first time this year. It worked too. I had no complaints about what they did Saturday. I remember Cutrera blitzing right through the middle on Auburn's one good drive in the first half in LSU territory and it was great to see. Of course, you can't do that often against everyone, but LSU is good enough to where they should keep mixing in the blitz. We have playmakers on D and we have to give them a chance to cause turnovers. I'd blitz Bama's QB to make him uneasy. He's not real mobile and hasn't had a pass of 30 or more yards for four games and hasn't thrown for 150 yards in four games. We have to try and make him even less confident by bringing the heat here and there.

The other Shep has been great this year. He's all over the place.

And yeah, Coleman was the defensive MVP on Saturday.

10. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

And SEC player of the week!