The Beavers are preparing for everything...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Bud Lee, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

CORVALLIS, Ore. - One of the two football practice fields at the Tommy Prothro Football Complex got a new look on Monday.

The west field, or the one closest to the Merritt Truax Indoor Center, was converted to Boise State's primary color of blue in preparation for Oregon State's visit there on Saturday. Bronco Stadium sports a blue FieldTurf playing surface.

OSU staff started Monday with a white base before actually painting the field blue. The staff then added the white yard lines. Completion of the painting, with white yard lines, finished around 3 p.m. Monday, approximately seven hours after the project was started.

Oregon State ordered enough blue grass paint base to make 440 gallons of the blue water based paint (when water is added). An anonymous donor has covered the cost of the paint.

Pics here: Photo Gallery

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Dam, they worried huh? What a shame for a "big" program to be SO concerned about a "small" one.

I do think the blue field/blue unis is a huge advantage. Much less contrast.

3. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

That blue turf does hold a psychological advantage for Boise. Never hurts to be prepared. I like it. Go Beavers!

4. Weisguy

Weisguy Veteran Member

Is OSU really a 'big' program?

Its in a big boy conference, but OSU is in the middle of nowhere and they're overshadowed by Oregon. Historically, they've been one of the worst teams in that conference. And, if Boise beats a middle of the road Pac-10 team, it should play for a NC?

5. Bamabuzzard

Bamabuzzard Founding Member

Why yes. It's the American thing to do. We're socializing everything else might as well socialize college football.

6. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

That's gonna leave a stain.

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

If SEC teams would quit losing to the likes of Utah... :hihi:

Man, I'm glad we didn't play them that night, they were on fire. Probably the quickest 21 points ever put on Bama.

8. Bamabuzzard

Bamabuzzard Founding Member

It's football. Anything can happen. We got our butts handed to us that night. Doesn't matter why, what if's or anything like that. But we learned from it and became National Champions the next season.

But I still say that rewarding a team for winning one or two competitive games a year while playing the rest of their schedule against very week opponents will be the worst mistake college football has made. Once that precedence is set you can officially open pandora's box and watch the quality of out of conference games of the big boys plummet further than what it already is. You can also expect to see BYU turn an about face and begin scheduling the Sweet Ladies of Sorrows on a weekly basis (rather than reaching to teams like Notre Dame) then when they go undefeated be expected to be allowed in the big show. With the implementation of the 85 scholly limit back in the 90's it has allowed teams like Utah and Boise St to get to a level where they can beat the big boys on any given DAY. But I still question whether the 85 scholly limit has enabled them to rack up quality depth which as we all know in the SEC you better have or you're a bottom feeder.

1 person likes this.
  9. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Absolutely. Their starters on both sides of the ball are extremely talented and I think for one game, they could hang with anyone. But, once you start playing a BCS conference schedule, your starters will wear down and will need rest. That's where depth comes in and that's Boise's weakness. But because they play cupcakes every week, they never get exposed.

I will say it's not necessarily their fault. They've tried to schedule OOC games with quality opponents, but no one wants to play them.

10. Bud Lee

Bud Lee Call me buttercup

People just don't want to play on that blue field ... it's turrible.

All seriousness though, that statement was probably true 3 years ago, but there is no excuse for them not to get some quality OOC opponents on their schedule in the future. If the trend of cup cake scheduling continues, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Which is why it is a big difference between them going undefeated and Bama going undefeated.