The Corn Dog issue explained...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerinAustin, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Kandjviz

Kandjviz Founding Member

Maybe this should be our response to them when they call us corn dogs. Just smile and call them "poopie head" and leave it at that. It seems with their level of maturity that this will truely insult them.

2. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Dumbest thing I've ever heard. Everyone in La. knows that by the end of the day, we smell like roux (at least me, on a gumbo day)!!! Now boudin smell can get in your clothes and stay a while, yea. Or maybe a little hickory smoke on a bar-b-q day. But not no corndogs, no, sha!

:geauxtige

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Huh? Give them credit for plagiarization and stupidity. This is an Agbarn thing and I'm astonished that an LSU fan would praise them about this. :dis: You ain't a poser are you?. :wink:

The whole corndog business is just too silly to get annoyed about. It is so childish that it makes us embarrassed for them. Barners come around campus and giggle at each other and yell "corndog, corndog". It is about the lamest taunt Iin the world (OK, "Hoddy Toddy" may be worse), but it is apparently the best they can come up with. Some kind of weiner fixation, I imagine. It could be worse--they call Alabama the Crimson Turd.

It ain't even original. The corndog gag was written in the 1960's by Oklahoma State fans about Iowa fans. You remember Iowa, the land of corn and hogs. Corndogs are the local cuisine there. Some brilliant Barner just switched LSU for Iowa and put it on the internet even though it made no sense at all. Anybody who has ever tailgaited at LSU know that LSU fans smell like jambalaya, gumbo, smoked andouille, fried shrimp and boiled crawfish.

4. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head. Props to you. :thumb:

5. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

It was 8 years ago, and I'm still amazed this discussion even pops up. The game was a 41-7 thrashing during a day game at BR.

from the Mobile-Press register:
    The game was a big win for AU, and it was a beatdown that hasn't been repeated since. It was also Tuberville's birthday, and following the locker room speach (about 15 minutes after they originally left the field) , CTT returned with 6 seniors to an area just outside the tunnel near a small group of fans that had gathered there. They lit cigars as part of the impromptu celebration. At the time, almost no LSU fans remained in the stands.

Of course, that's not quite the slant taken by several of the local papers. A picture of the incident was widely circulated and as the fishwrappers are fond of doing, they labeled the game under the caption, "Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em." The papers also took liberties by making it appear as if Tuberville lit up immediately following the final gun and was doing it to intentionally inflame LSU fans.

IMHO, that wasn't the intent, but that's how it was portrayed by the media and LSU fans haven't forgotten the perception. On the positive side, that game is largely seen as the moment that LSU and Auburn started it's current, ongoing rivalry .... and I think that's a good thing, to an extent.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Not so fast, my friend, there were lots of people left in the stadium and most of the media. The Auburn players (more than 6) were on the field, under the goalposts (not near their tunnel) and mugging for the press cameras. Impromptu my ass.

[​IMG]

7. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

red, I was there and there were less than 1,000 LSU fans inside the stadium. The place began emtying midway through the 4th quarter.

There were, of course, media present. That was my whole point. The press made a bigger deal out of it than it really was and IMO fans were more pizzed about the score than anything else.

that happens with every team's fans from time to time..

8. TigerinAustin

TigerinAustin Founding Member

I acquiesce - didn't know it was plagarized. Just thought in this day and age that it was relatively "good clean fun". That not withstanding, you have my assurance that I am most definitely not a poser.

Apologies.

9. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Exactly. It makes as much sense as LSU fans yelling "Gig 'em" to Auburn fans...

It's Teh Lame.

10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I was called a Corndog by a Auburn fan yesterday. I noticed he was one of the many male AU fans carrying a Pom Pom. So I called him a male Pom Pom.

I carried it into the stadium and most of our section would chant male pom pom when their fans were walking up to thier seats. AU fans really hated it and some wouldnt carry them on the way back doen to the concession stands.

If we are corndogs then they are pom poms from now on.:hihi: