The Desolation of Smaug

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Dec 29, 2013.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I see it differently regarding Arwen. Her purpose in the books is not central because it's Hobbit-centric. However, her relationship with Aragorn represents a number of ideals, mostly the concept that she is willing to give up immortality for love of a mortal man. That's a traditional take from a devout Catholic. Tolkien explored the concepts of death and the afterlife and her choice of mortality and then ensuing death after Aragorn's passing are very telling. She is also a pivotal connection between men and elves, something that was shaky at times.

In the movie her role was obviously changed, highlighted. Her transportation of Frodo to Rivendell was key and Jackson clearly couldn't give credit to Glorfindel. And after Aragorn falls off the cliff into the river, Arwen's spirit comes to his dreams and sends his horse.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

The basic problem is that one movie would never have sufficed for each book so Jackson went for the trilogy. At that point, more content, characters, and some embellishment is needed. People can be Hobbit snobs...so married to the story that they can only accept a strict interpretation. But movies are not books. Jackson is a very good maker of movies IMO and he is clearly a fan of the books. I don't think he was irreverent or disrespectful or felt all-knowing. One of the best decisions was to have just one director for all the movies. His point of view is clear and provides consistency.

Christopher Tolkien has a reason to be protective of his father's work but he's not a movie expert.

red55 likes this.
  3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I don't disagree that some things needed to be added, and when I heard some things from unfinished tales and the silmarillion were going to be added I was stoked. I just think there were so many other avenues he could have taken. I totally get embelishments because for those of us who read the Hobbit and I'm sure you will agree, it was really different than all the other books. The elves were more like a bunch of drunks and buffoons, so I get Jackson adding things. I would have liked to see more Silmarillion stuff, more with Beorn, I felt that was rushed. I also didn't like how Smaug only had like 10 minutes in the 3rd movie. To me part 2 was clearly the best movie, but part 3 had some awesome battle scenes. I just don't like adding love stories and fluff just to sell tickets. To me that completely kills the vibe. If that's in the story put it in there, if not it's not needed.

I still want to see in my lifetime, a the story of the Noldor. From the times in Valinor, to Melkor stealing the silmarils and killing the trees with ungoliant, to the flight of the Noldor, the Kinslaying, the Helcaraxe, the curse of the sons of feanor, Beren and luthien, and the stealing of the silmaril from Melkor's crown, the battle of unnumbered tears, the fall of Gondolin, there is just so much good stuff that could be put on the screen. Hope I live to see it.

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Smaug should have had more screen time, yes. Here's the thing about Jackson's interpretation....there are those who read and love the books and it would have been nearly impossible to produce movies that those fans would all have loved, appreciate, etc. There were going to be detractors along the entire spectrum. Had he been 100% true to the books, perhaps the movies might not have been as good as you imagine. Still, what the movies have done, are introduce Tolkien to legions of new readers and young kids who would never have read the books in the first place. Have you seen the reading lists for kids these days? Hardly any classics or really great writing/literature. It's book series that are short on depth or idealism. Harry Potter (the books are pretty good), Twilight, Maze Runner, Divergent, Mortal Instruments, Percy Jackson. Most of these kids are not picking up The Hobbit.

I was with two other parents as we took 8 kids to see The Five Armies. Their first two comments after it was over were, "Are there any more movies after this?" and "I want to read the books now."

Make it happen.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

6. LaSalleAve

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Did you have to watch any of the videos? I read through it and saw nothing close to humerus.

I did learn that Miranda Lambert took some pills to make her skinny again though. Allegedly.

8. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

The Honest Trailers for Guardians of the Galaxy is funnny...

9. LaSalleAve

You didn't watch the honest trailer?

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's all about the videos.