The Fab 5 vs. The Runnin Rebs

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Mar 14, 2011.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Ok, I used to be a huge college basketball fan, but the NBA has kind of ruined that, but I think other than LSU, my favorite teams to watch were Georgia Tech when Bobby Cremmins was coaching there, Loyola Marymount when Bo Kimble and Hank Gathers was there, UNLV Runnin Rebs of 90/91, and Michigan's fab 5 team.

Obviously the 2 most talented teams I had ever seen were the Fab 5 team, and the UNLV team. I think I would have killed to see these 2 teams play each other, but unfortunately they were a year apart. Who do you think would have won?

Starting Lineups were:
    UNLV
    Greg Anthony
    Anderson Hunt
    Stacy Augmon
    Larry Johnson
    George Ackles

Michigan
    Jalen Rose
    Jimmy King
    Ray Jackson
    Juwon Howard
    Chris Weber

By the way, both of these teams are profiled on documentaries that are airing now on ESPN and HBO. ESPN is doing the fab 5, and HBO is doing the Runnin Rebs.

And as much as I hate to admit it, I also loved watching those Arkansas teams, even though LSU had a really tough time with them. I think it was the team with Corliss Williamson, Scotty Thurman who was from Ruston, Todd Day, and Lee Mayberry. I hated them when they played LSU because they would all just triple team Shaq and foul him, but they were an awesome team.

2. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

UNLV
    Michigan, too many freshmen, that was the problem.

3. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

I'd pick Michigan if they have enough timeouts at the end...

4. LaSalleAve

I gotta go with UNLV also. I think that was the best team I have ever seen. Losing to Duke in the finals shouldn't have happened. I think UNLV was just too arrogant, and thought they would kill Duke, being that they blew them out by 30 in the finals in 90.

5. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

I think it got Phi Slama Jama too. Play the games, kids.

6. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I watched that Fab 5 show last night.
    That team was awesome.
    I vote Fab 5. Made the Title game twice. Lost both but back then 5 freshman starting was unheard of. Now its not so special.

I think Duke needs to be thrown into the Mix.

7. LaSalleAve

Duke probably should be thrown into the mix as well, because that team was pretty special. The back to back championship team from 91-92.

Another thing about that Duke team. In 1991, which was the year that Duke beat UNLV in the championship game, I want to say in the Elite 8, Duke played Kentucky. That Kentucky team had Travis Ford, John Pelphrey, Jamal Mashburn, Martinez, and Feldhaus. Christian Laettner was T'd up in that game for stomping on Martinez' chest. He should have been ejected. Had he been ejected, there is no last second shot, no Thomas Hill on the floor crying, and no beating UNLV.