The "New" Republican Party

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CottonBowl'66, Feb 6, 2004.

1. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Commie Pinko propaganda.

3. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Okay, FT, I'll give you a lot of that stuff, and I too am frustrated with the deficit and with Bush's unwillingness to curb spending. But let's visit some of the issues you raised.

More gun control: How has Bush pushed any form of gun control? I would say the Ashcroft Justice Dept. is a heck of a lot more sensitive to firearms rights than the Reno Admin. was.

More pork and big govt.: Can't argue there. Republican or Democrat controlled, Congress' appetite for frivilous spending only grows every year. But Bush is moving to cap discretionary spending at 4%. Other than that, I don't know what he could do, other than veto every single spending bill that comes across his desk and move us toward another govt. shutdown.

Open borders: I too, want every single illegal immigrant kicked out of America yesterday. But with the huge Latino vote up for grabs, that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. The "guest worker program" has potential and might help us get rid of a few hundred thousand later down the road. This is not amnesty. It is a step, albeit a baby step, in the right direction. As for a mass expulsion, only a terrorist attack by means of Al-Qaida sneaking a nuke across the Rio Grande to blow up San Antonio will finally get everyone on board with my 30 foot high, 20 foot thick steel-and-concrete wall from Brownsville to San Diego idea. That ain't Bush's fault. It's our fault, for hiring illegal aliens on the cheap.

Socialized medicine: The prescription drug benefit, while certainly not perfect, is a far cry from socialized medicine. It was a compromise to stop the move toward socialized medicine. I would like a free-market solution to the problem of prescription drug coverage and uninsured Americans. Unfortunately, the ideal free market solution requires about three or four major insurance companies to suddenly materialize and start offering rock-bottom prices for premiums. And the insurance biz is tough right now. When the economy goes up again, more insurance companies will be writing cheaper policies and more Americans will be able to get health insurance. Again, Bush made the compromise necessary to preserve our current for-profit system. If the Democrats had their way, they'd just let the problem fester and grow until they felt the moment was right to demand, and get, a national government controlled health system.

On stuff unconstitutional: The McCain/Feingold Act is absolute crap and I am quite confident a majority of the Supreme Court will see it that way. I think the Bush Administration felt that way too. But they had to sign on, they had to look like they were doing "something" about the "problem." After the Supreme Court strikes it down, conventional wisdom will win out and the matter will be forgotten.

You want a candidate that believes in strict interpretation and limited govt? There is no such electable candidate at the moment. I'm sorry, but that's a fact. The machine that is Big Govt. and the "Mommy State" didn't happen overnight and won't be stopped overnight. And it's also our fault. Bush is merely giving the people what they want, and what the people want is for the federal govt. to take care of all their problems. A greater change in the culture must take place before a man who will chop govt. down to size can take over. Bush is just one man, one politician who is trying to slowly pull us out of that state. He is not The Savior. He is not The Ultimate Conservative. I like to view him as a transitional figure, preparing the way for one glorious day when a REAL conservative will take office and make the painful but necessary reforms to take our country to the next level. It's gonna be a long, hard road, but I think we're on it. We can't go backwards now by electing a person from the other party, the party that is committed to bloating federal govt. into ever larger sizes and making up ways for govt. to intervene in every facet of our lives.

The GOP may not be fully "walking the walk" now, but at least there are principles there that one day will be returned to.

That said, I fully understand your problems. I've felt the same way myself about a lot of the things Bush has done. But he beats any alternative out there right now.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There will be less, not more gun control. The Clinton ban on so called "assault weapons" is set to expire this year. No way it will be continued or re-enacted under the Bush administration. The surest way to see you constitutonal right to keep and bear firearms abridged is to elect a Democrat. Only Howard Dean among the Demo's has a good rating from the National Rifle Association and he is so far out there on every other issue that he is unacceptable.

No, I don't like the way spending has gotten escalated and I don't like the idea of illegal aliens taking more jobs from American citizens but George W. Bush is the only one I trust to pursue terrorists to the end of the Earth and eliminate the very real threat they pose to all of us.

5. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

6. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

Sure, I will comment on Uneducated's thought provoking comments.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...................

7. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

where is Ramah's monkey food when you need it?

I think we could use it to feed the liberal monkeys too.

Peanuts and bananas, which is it?

Bush will win and win big.
    read that LOL read my lips LOL

he sent money back to me and I'm not rich. NO DNC president has EVER sent JACK shit to the working class.

hey if you don't think he is going to win..... lets make a wager? I might as well make some money on this.
    Liberalism is a disease it eats away at the moral fiber of America.

AND it makes you a dumbass in the process!
    LOL
    c ya monkeys!

8. Macphisto

Macphisto Founding Member

That's a gross overstatement and you know it.

9. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

Actually the more rhetoric I hear from liberals the more I expect to see a legitimate study come out linking it to Moral defecit, crime and basic lack of some sort of necessary DNA in the brain. It very well could be associated with some sort of brain disorder that effects a person's decisions and moral fiber.

10. Macphisto

Macphisto Founding Member

Just because someone's opinions are different then yours all of a sudden its a mental disease? Political opinions are usually parental indoctrination and choice. There's nothing genetically unstable about someone's political opinions.

And what is "moral fiber"? Who graces us with it, and whenand how does it go wrong? Morals aren't black and white. One culture's "moral fiber" is another's deplorable sins.