The other side of the recruiting coin is player development.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUBSJD, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

He hires the personnel to develope the players. So that makes him partially responsible not wholly. Its also up to the players to buy in and accept the coaching they receive. As much as players say they love him I don't think buying in was an issue for Miles. But the playcalling and lack of offensive performance can cause some doubt I am sure.

2. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Well said. Some of the fault falls on many different people, and poor performance doesn't necessarily mean poor coaching or development.

3. Eliminator55

Eliminator55 May God Help Us.

Agree with most of your post. With me, Les Miles gets an "F" for the development of offensive players.

My heart aches for Russell Shepard. I remember the days when he had just arrived on campus for the spring semester and had posted a video of him eating at the campus Chik-fil-a. Now, several years later, our most vivid recollection of his time at LSU consists mainly of watching in despair as he was left to waste away. I'm not taking away the great plays that he gave us the opportunity of watching. But, I can't help but think he had so much more to offer if his talent had been correctly implemented.

4. TIGRIS PANTHERA

TIGRIS PANTHERA Veteran Member

Ultimately? YES

5. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

So none of these young men are old enough to have any ultimate responsibility for themselves?

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

You shouldn't ache for RS. During that time RR went 2nd round. Why choose to develop one player over another?

An argument can be made for a different position, though in all RS got a shot at two positions and didn't perform to a level quality of the NFL.

He isn't built for a feature back or a feature WR. Lacks the vision. Lacks consistent hands. Not powerful enough. He is good enough to make a play every now and then.

I would like you to tell me how he could have been "correctly implemented."

7. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

I for one would have used him on some plays with options to run, pitch or pass. He and J Manziel are almost "physical twins", we never TRIED to use him the way Manziel runs
    the A&M offense. I'm not saying he would have had to play every play but for a change of pace it would have been nice. Miles still runs a Big 10 offense and J Manziel nor Russell Shepard are really "designed" for it. Russell Shepard did not rack up the numbers he did at the level he played in Texas HS football with smoke and mirrors. What do you really expect with a head coach that CONSISTENTLY has finished in the bottom half of offense in the country???

8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

My point is that a good player will stand out when given the chance on limited touches.

For RS to be a JFF, he would need the full time QB spot IMO.

9. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Manziel & Shep are similar in size and height but the phyisical similarity ends there. Shep has nowhere closer to Manziel's sure quick feet or balance. From examples of his running he doesn't see the field as well as JF. Though we haven't seen it I think it is safe to assume Shep's arm doesn't compare. I guess you mean any 6' 180-90 lb kid could be as good as JF.

10. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

JFF has a field awareness that I have never seen. His vision is impeccable.

furduknfish and Winston1 like this.