The Post JR Era

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by captainpodnuh, Oct 16, 2006.

1. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Thinking ahead since I am bored and we are between 2 games where we kicked the crap out of UK and should kick the crap out of FS. Assuming JR leaves for the NFL, what do you think about a 2QB system next season. MF and RP are both pretty skilled runners. That could be pretty exciting. Both MF and RP both had really nice runs against UK, and I especially enjoyed seeing RP break the long one and show why he was one of the highest rated QBs coming out of HS (This is not an endorsement of one QB over the other, just a comment that I wanted to see RP get out and run like MF does).

Did anyone else in the NEZ see the vapor trail left behind on the pass RP zipped into Mitchell? I'm surprised Mitchell didn't break any fingers. That ball was HOT!!! Jimbo just managed to get JR to ease up on some of those close range rockets, and it looks like RP may have to learn that, too.

While I heard someone say that we will be sad next year after JR is gone and that we will miss him greatly, I think we will be fine. With the good number of snaps that both backups have seen this year, and should continue to see with some more inferior competition ahead, I think we should have one heck of a spring to look forward to.

Anyway, just something to think about until we get back to some SEC football.

2. LSUalum24

LSUalum24 Founding Member

Which brings the question, does Lee redshirt with just 2 scholarship QBs available. As to your premise, let them battle it out and have one guy. 2 QB systems rarely work.

3. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I will not be very sad when JR leaves. He will not win a championship of any kind as the QB of LSU.... nor will he garner any all-conference or all-american honors.

4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Of course he redshirts. It can always be pulled if it needs to be. He can get all of the work in during practice.

5. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

lee's gonna be a good one...just has to be patient like rp is doing right now.

6. DownOnTheBayou

DownOnTheBayou Say My Name!

If JR does go pro, he better learn to check down when his first option is covered. He can get away with it now, but the pros will eat his lunch. But with his talent, if he can learn that and cut out his mental errors (taking sacks with no TO left), he will be a good NFL QB. Hell, if he stays and learns that, no reason we don't win NC next year with our schedule.

And I don't like 2 QB systems either. All they do is cause a qb controversy. For example, Florida. The fans love Tebow and can't wait to get rid of Leak. Say what you want about Leak, but if Tebow was the starter, they would have more than one loss.

I think MF starts next year and RP comes in if MF struggles. But I wouldn't be opposed if they put RP in there for some trick plays every now and then. But not MF for 2 series, then RP for one. Spurrier did that a few times at UF and it never worked. Besides, MF has shown when called upon to start(Miami), he has done the job. I think we should win out this year, and next year could be special, IMO.

7. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

I know it means nothing in terms of where we'll finish, but we could easily be looking at a pre-season No. 1 ranking with our schedule if JR stays.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I'd feel a lot more confident about our season next year if JaMarcus returns, but I think there's a pretty good chance he goes pro after this year.

As far as who starts, I think Flynn will get the nod over Perrilloux because of having more experience & being a starter. BUT they were both really close to each other this past Spring and RP will have another year of experience in the system plus some actual game snaps in him the next time they compete, so you never know... Whichever one wins it though will be the starter - the only way we see a 2 QB system is if the starter really struggles, and LSU fans should not hope for that. If JaMarcus leaves, but both Flynn & RP stay - Lee will redshirt as he's already said he's comfortable with. If JaMarcus leaves & Flynn transfers, Lee will most likely play mop up duty to get him ready in case anything happens.

I don't expect our OLine to be too improved next year, but we should have a much better running attack regardless, which will make things a lot easier on the new QB. However, we do lose our top 2 receivers after this year. Early & LaFell will be the main targets for us next year, and we'll need several young guys to really step up. I don't care how highly they were ranked, we'll need atleast one of the mitchell's or a freshman who can be a top SEC caliber WR quickly.

9. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

No...he just wins the Touchdown Club of Ohio's SEC Player of the Year last season. No biggie.

10. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

For some reason, I feel like JaMarcus Russell will return next year. He has too much to improve on before he enters the NFL. Also, he could win the heisman next year if he returns.

I just feel sorry for Matt Flynn if he does come back. That guy could probably start anywhere in the Country as good as he is. We'll see what happens.