The State of Awburnt Football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sos, Sep 17, 2004.

1. sos

sos Founding Member

The State of Auburn Football
    by John Byars
    This was supposed to be there year. They were going to own this state, this conference, this nation. Auburn was finally going to separate itself from college football mediocrity.

Their team is loaded with NFL caliber players. Their staff is loaded with High School caliber coaches. Their fans want one simple question answered, "how could this happen?" How can a team picked to win the National Championship by The Sporting News be staring at a potential 7-5 or 6-6 finish? They need to look no further than their Head Coach. I have supported Tommy Tuberville during his 5 years at Auburn. He has not only brought in talented players, but they are also quality individuals. Auburn fans can now look at the depth chart, rather than the police blotter, in order to see who will be playing on Saturday.

Tuberville is a "family-man", and all indications point to the fact that he runs a clean program. However, with the possible exception of 2000, in which Auburn rode Rudi Johnson to the SEC Title Game, Tuberville has yet to produce with these players. Tuberville knew he had a lot of talent returning for the 2003 season, and after offensive coordinator, Bobby Petrino, left for the head coaching vacancy at Louisville, Tuberville made the worst mistake of his coaching career. He promoted Hugh Nall, and hired his ole' buddy, Steve Ensminger to execute Petrino's system. Their abilities to prepare, and successfully call plays, is equivalent to my ability to tomahawk dunk a basketball. Both will be fired at the end of the season.

There is one unknown. What will happen to Tuberville? The only way I see Tuberville not being Auburn's coach heading into the 2004 season is if the Tigers get blown out in their remaining games.

Does he deserve another shot? Probably not. However, Tubs will live to fight another day. This time around he better not make a mistake. He better find a capable offensive coordinator, as he did when he hired Bobby Petrino prior to the 2002 season. Before finding these replacements, Tuberville must first finish the 2003 season. This season is not salvageable. No way, no how. Not with these expectations. Wins over rivals Georgia and Alabama will make everyone feel better, but they won't excuse losses to Ole Miss and Georgia Tech.

A win over Alabama will improve Tuberville's record against the Tide to 3-2, and despite whether it's healthy or not, that bodes well for his future. I'm not one to advocate that Auburn should base their success on whether they beat Alabama. It certainly helps, but it shouldn't be a measuring stick. For a lot of fans, beating Alabama, or beating Auburn (if you are an Alabama fan) makes a season a success. I guess that is why the combined record of Auburn and Alabama during 2003 is 10-10.

However, if Tuberville loses to Alabama, all bets are off, and hell will break loose. If he pulls a stunt similar to "Black Saturday", a.k.a. Auburn's 31-7 debacle against Alabama in 2001, you might as well pull the UPS truck to his front door. However, it won't play out this way. That's not Tuberville's style. He will win one or both of his next two games, and save himself for what seems like the hundredth time. Meanwhile, Auburn fans will have that glimmer of hope instilled in them once again.

We will yearn for the 2004 season, because it will be "the year". I will believe it also. I bleed orange and blue. I can't help myself. I, along with the rest of the Auburn family will continue to wallow in mediocrity. It's all I've ever known. I don't know any better. It's certainly not heaven. It's too fun to be hell. Welcome to purgatory. Welcome to Auburn football.