The Sugar Bowl

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I hate to look past this huge weekend but here is my email reply to a friend who is an Oklahoma grad in response to his message about OU being # 1 in the first BCS rankings.

The fucking BCS has LSU at #12 behind even Northern Illinois at #10. Georgia, who LSU beat in a nationally televised by CBS game is #4. OU is clearly playing on a different level than anybody else. Miami is not as good as they were last year but if they beat Virginia Tech the bullshit BCS will have them in the Sugar Bowl unless Tennessee, the only other team on their schedule who can beat them does it.
    I'm hoping that Miami beats V Tech and loses to Tennessee. LSU has a huge game against Auburn Saturday. Win that one and win out sets up a probable rematch between LSU-Georgia in the SEC title game. If LSU finishes 12-1 as the SEC Champ and they don't get fucked over by the BCS I'll meet you in New Orleans for the LSU-OU National Championship Sugar Bowl. Loser pays for the tickets. It would be a better matchup than you probably think. LSU is #1 nationally in both scoring and rushing defense and they have probably the best offensive line in the NCAA. Saturday against South Carolina the first and second string running backs were injured and didn't play and 2 freshman RBs had over 100 yards each. Jason White is a better QB than Matt Mauck but LSU has receivers from hell and Mauck is a 24 year old former catcher in the Cubs minor league system before he gave it up and returned to college. Mauck won't do anything to lose the game unless somehow the "Cubness" has rubbed off on him. Michael Clayton is the best football player as well as receiver in the SEC. His stats haven't been great the last few games but the double and triple coverage he draws has opened it up for Devery Henderson. Henderson won the ESPY for best play of the year for his game winning catch against Kentucky last year. Clayton is also great on special teams and whenever Saban decides to use him on defense he is the best defensive back in the SEC. The OU kick returner is awesome but LSU has Skyler Green who has only returned 6 punts this year with 2 of them for long touchdowns and another for a long gain. Henderson and Shyrone Carey are also great kick returners. I don't know about the OU field goal kicker but that is our biggest weakness. Ryan Gaudet missed 2 extra points last Saturday and has missed a few makeable field goal attempts.

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Sorry to tell ya this Bengal B, LSU will not be in the Sugar even if we finish 12-1. Our weakass OOC schedule won't allow it to happen.

This is all a moot point if we don't beat Auburn this weekend...

3. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

If we go 12-1 this year, then maybe next year we will start out high enough in the polls that losing a game won't keep us out of the MNC game. For this year though, we are probably toast. All that matter not! We must use the ways of the force to vanquish the Fake Tigers!

4. ledfoot

ledfoot Founding Member

Where does the SEC champ go if they're not a BCS title contender? The SEC is tied to the Sugar, so there must be some loop hole in the arrangement?

5. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

I think its the Orange Bowl......Bama went there after winning the SECCG, 4 years ago when the Sugar was the NC game

6. Hub

Hub Founding Member

There is no set BCS bowl if the Sugar is the NC game. The other BCS bowls get to pick. But in all likelihood the SEC team would got to the Orange.

7. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

Also if a Big 10 or PAc 10 team is in the title game it would cause some possible shifting. But it looks like a Big 12 vs Big East game this year in all likelyhood.

8. aztiger03

aztiger03 Founding Member

No. Ill will get beat by some half ass team anyway they are not for long. If LSU takes care of business things will look up but still no sugar. The BCS would want LSU to be away from NO to gernerate money for what ever city . Tempe, MIami blah blah blah. LSU travels to well. I was amazed that they played Ill 2001. I wasnt sure how that would work out. Owell on to AU

9. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

The BCS bowls dont really get that much say in who they get, though. #1 and #2 will be in NO regardless of where the teams are from, just like the SEC and Big 10 champions automatically go there in non championship years (assuming they arent in the championship game). There are only two at-large BCS bids, and there are criteria that teams must meet to get those.

10. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

Northern Illinois is an UNDERDOG at Bowling Green this weekend.