The top schools in the 3 major sports (cumulative)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Feb 15, 2004.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

You can now argue that LSU is the #1 school in the nation when you combine current success in the 3 major sports (football, basketball, and baseball....I am using the current Baseball polls out for 2004).

Here is my top 17 (in parenthesis, rankings for Football, Basketball and Baseball, respectively):

1) LSU (1, 24/30, 2)
    2) Texas (12, 11/12, 6)
    3) North Carolina State (29, 13/18, 24)
    4) Florida (23, 31/26, 20)
    5) Stanford (67, 1/1, 4)
    6) Miami (5, NR/NR, 3)
    7) Georgia Tech (43, 18/16, 5)
    8) Oklahoma State (28, 7/7, NR)
    9) Oklahoma (4, 30/31, NR)
    10) Florida State (10, NR/NR, 25)
    11) Ole Miss (14, NR/NR, 18)
    12) Nebraska (19, NR/NR, 23)
    13) Clemson (10, NR/NR, 11)
    14) South Carolina (56, 25/22, 7)
    15) Auburn (27, NR/NR, 10)
    16) Arizona (88, 14/13, 13)
    17) North Carolina (94, 16/19, 17)
    18) Pittsburgh (38, 5/4, NR)
    19) Connecticut (42, 8/8, NR)
    20) Texas Tech (36, 22/23, NR)
    TIE Wisconsin (45, 12/10, NR)

I used the BCS ranking for football, both AP/Coaches for basketball and Baseball America for Baseball)

Texas would be the only team I could see someone rating as #1 instead of LSU. They are top 11 in all 3 sports, although they will be falling lower than #11 in basketball with a loss to Iowa State this week. LSU will be ranked top 25 in all 3 sports when the basketball polls come out this week.

I had a hard time placing Stanford and Miami in this poll as Stanford was 67th in the BCS and Miami's basketball team would probably be just as bad if such a poll existed. Even though I think football should have more emphasis, I still tried to place equal weight on all 3 sports.

2. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

If this is currently, then a few of those teams don't belong. Currently North Carolina sucks in football. Currently Auburn sucks in basketball. I'm kinda scratching my head at your list.

3. islstl

Well go ahead and scratch some more when you try to come up with your list. Then you will see that my list is pretty solid.

North Carolina did have a down year, but their program overall is pretty solid. So I tried to balance those factors out.

4. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

no Stanford or USC?

5. islstl

Stanford's football team was pretty bad. You can make an argument for them being honorable mention, but I regard football as the most important of the 3 sports.

I was going to list USC but to my amazement, their baseball team is not in the top 25. I guess they are having a down year (rebuilding). And their basketball team is not that good. So there was no way I could put them in the list.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

If you count track, LSU would be even higher.

But in all sports, LSU comes in currently at #48, according to the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics.

http://nacda.ocsn.com/index.html

7. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Awhile back on Around the Horn the question was asked what was the best athletic university in America, in terms of overall sports success (not just major sports). The West Coasters (JA Adande and Woody Paige) picked Stanford, Mariotti picked Michigan and the other guy (can't think of his name) picked Texas.

Stanford is a good pick if we're talking all-time athletic success and single year height of success. There was one season, I believe it was 97 or 99, where their football team won the Pac-10 and went to the Rose Bowl, their men's basketball team won the Pac-10 and went to the Final Four, their women's team won the Pac-10 and went to the Sweet 16, their baseball team won the Pac-10 and went to the CWS, and they also won or went to the national finals or semifinals in men's golf, men's soccer, water polo, and a couple of other minor sports.

I'd say that was a pretty dang good year for Stanford athletics.

That's why I have such low tolerance for mediocrity from Vanderbilt in our own league. Every time I hear anybody from Vanderbilt, or Baylor, or Tulane whine about why they can't win because they are an little private school with academic standards, I point to Stanford, or Notre Dame, or Rice, and I say, "They can do it. Why can't you?"

8. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

First off, let me start off by saying that I'm not trying to pick on you or make you look bad. I'm just trying to understand the your method in picking these teams.

You mentioned that you didn't pick USC because theire baseball team wasn't in the top 25, but none of these teams have a basketball team in the top 25 as of right now(Florida St., Miami, N. Carolina St., Ole Miss, Nebraska,Auburn) yet they're on your list. One last thing, you said Stanford wasn't on there because their football team was bad and that you regard football as the most important, yet Stanford's football team was ranked higher than North Carolina.

9. Houma Tiger

Houma Tiger Founding Member

Auburn??? no football or basketball team

10. Ken Ross

Ken Ross Founding Member

But notice they did rank USC 2nd in Football, and LSU first.