Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

The "voice" of your thoughts

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by lsu99, Mar 18, 2014.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Like most people, I've had a few moments in my life when I've watched a video of myself and said "I didn't realize my voice sounded like that". This is likely due to the voice of my thoughts being different than my actual voice.

The voice of my thoughts is a standard male sounding (American) voice with no accent. I wondered recently if this voice was the same when I was a kid or if it has changed as I got older (i.e. did it sound like a kid's voice when I was a kid?).

I've also been told many times during my life that I don't "sound" like I'm from south Louisiana (i.e. no accent). If you have an accent, does the voice in your head also have an accent?
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I can't speak for anybody else but the voice in my head has no accent. But then I really don't have much of an accent if any, even though I was born and raised in Baton Rouge. I have been told that I should have gone into broadcasting because I have a "radio quality voice." Sometimes when I get around my Cajun relatives I will fall into a slight Cajun accent.

What about people who speak more than one language? An American friend from Louisiana who had lived in Mexico for a few years once told me that he would sometimes find himself thinking in Spanish
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon

I hear no voices. Thoughts are faster and clearer than language.
  4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The voice in my head is James Earl Jones one day and Lawrence Fishburn the next. I've taken both red and blue pills, and I've joined the dark side in the same weekend.
  5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I spent a semester in Paris during college at a french speaking school, living in an apartment with french neighbors and generally conducting my business in french. In the end, i was thinking and dreaming in french. That was trippy.

Normally, I guess the voice in my head is just like my normal voice. Definitely doesn't sound like Daniel Stern.
  6. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Off topic a little but I find it amazing that I can still hear the "voice" of my grandfather and also a close friend that both passed away 20+ years ago (i.e. in my head when I think of them).
  7. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Do your thoughts sound exactly the same as your voice? For example, when you hear your voice on a video or audio recording, is it exactly the same as the thoughts in your head?
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Interesting. Maybe since you are in a scientific field you think more in non verbal and mathematical terms where since I have been in fields where verbal communication is important I think the words. Although sometimes the words follow the actual thoughts.

You do have over 31,000 posts so you are pretty good with words too
  9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Do you ever proofread your posts before clicking on "Post Reply"? Is the voice that you hear (in your head) when proofreading the exact same as your voice?
  10. red55

red55 curmudgeon

Two different things. Thought itself has no language and moves at the speed of light for me. Hearing my voice on a recording as opposed to hearing my voice through my ears, yes it sounds different, as I would expect.