The WORST Sports Section in the country...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SabanFan, Aug 18, 2003.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

...has to be the Lafayette Daily Fertilizer/Daily Disappointment. Here we are, less than 2 weeks from kickoff and this rag, 50 miles from the LSU campus had the following college FB articles in today's paper:
    "Cajun's Progress Evaluated": That's the headline. Here's the gist of the article: THEY STILL SUCK!!!

"IMPOSSIBLE TASK? Big12 squads gearing up to try to challenge Sooners": This took up half a page and gave a capsule synopsis of every freakin' Big 12 team's chances to beat Oklahoma. We were favored with a picture of Bob Stoops and Roy Williams.

"OFFENSE SPARKLES FOR GAMECOCKS IN SUNDAY DRILLS": This was the headline over their "College Notebook" section. Along with being informed that the Cock's offense is doing so well, we subscribers to the"Daily Menstruation" were further informed that "Blackwell, Walley run well" an update on USM's running backs and "Auburn alters it's 2004 slate". Well Whoop tee doo, I certainly didn't want to wait another second for new information on theBarner's schedule FOR NEXT YEAR!! (By the way, Bowling Green ditched them for Oklahoma and they scheduled the Citadel in it's place).

LSU? not a freakin' word!!!!

Please, Please...Will the Advocate (the Baton Rouge one, not the gay one) ever deliver to my neck of the woods?

2. Hub

Hub Founding Member

That sounds bad. Another to add to the list the Mobile Press Register. A city with comparable size to Baton Rouge and their sports section is maybe 6 pages on a Sunday......less other days. A truly pathetic newspaper considering the market. Not even 10 pages of dribble about Auburn and Bama......nothing.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I'm not real wild about the Advocates coverage this summer. Today there was not one single article on LSU football. There have been plenty on Southern, or the Saints, . . . or freaking GOLF!

In previous years, LSU football would get the sports headline almost every day this time of year. Now if there are any LSU football articles at all, it's buried behind some other lead story.

Some say this is Political Correctness at the Advocate, trying to give equal billing to small schools like Southern and Southeastern or the blasted Saints. Others say is it the result of Nick not allowing media coverage of practice, nor allowing assistant coaches to give interviews. I don't know.

In any case, I hope things pick up dramatically when the games start.

4. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

The Knoxville News(less) Sentinel is the worst, IMO. They are homers for UT and rarely do more than skim the surface of other SEC schools. Ironically enough, the sports editor is an LSU grad...John Adams.

5. SabanFan

Misery loves company and it's good to know you share my pain, Hatcher. One good thing about the Daily Badvertiser, there is never a shortage of updates on "Former UL greats" Brian Mitchell, Hollis Conway (a high jumper) and Jake Delhomme (KPEL now carries all Panther games - "Here's a Delhomme update. He's moved closer to the center of the bench and was seen talking to a trainer"). And lets not forget the daily updates on "Lafayette's Chanda Rubin. And, surely, it can't be long before we get a Sunday feature story on USL's "Historic win over Nationally Ranked Texas A&M".

6. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

When Adams was a writer for the Advocate in the late '70s and early '80s he was HATED by LSU fans for his perceived hatchet jobs on LSU athletics. He certainly always seemed "out to get" LSU football and basketball for some reason.

I will say that the Advocate website, however limited its print edition seems to be in Baton Rouge, carries more LSU news articles than I can get anywhere else.

Now, if you want a bad sports section, try the Richmond (VA) Times-Dispatch. Every single day, the entirety of page two is NASCAR.

7. SabanFan

You get a page 2??:D

8. TexTiger

TexTiger Founding Member

Shreveport Times ain't much better than all these. I can't stand any of the Louisiana sports sections after living in Dallas. If a game starts at night you can book that you won't have a score in the morning papers and heaven forbid if you are an NHL fan. When we move to BR next year I'll just stick with the net for coverage.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Oooooh! I remember that sorry bastard. He wrote at the Advocate in the 1980's. He was so anti-LSU and generally negative that, it is said, influential forces prevailed upon the paper to show him the door, which they promptly did. I guess he's learned his lesson and now brownnoses the local team, he's been writing in Tennessee a long time, now.

10. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

I like the way the advertiser changes people's hometowns. Chanda is from Carencro, not Lafayette.
    I won't even bring up Ali.