This should be required reading on ALL Forums:

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SabanFan, Oct 5, 2007.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Even considering the source.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=tb-sweet16100307&prov=yhoo&typ

2. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

I hear ya . . . I'm never confident before the Florida game, because we don't have a good W/L record against them for the past 20 years.

3. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Great quote with an excellent point. This just goes to show you why there are so many arm chair quarterbacks/coaches, but so few great ones actually out there doing it.

4. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

im a bit surprised. it is what they do, you know. and they should be very good at it. comparing a college coach to a cfb fan is like comparing leo kottke to some guy that muffs stairway to heaven.

i would have thought that more times than not, 25 sec is the same as 2 hrs for these guys.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That's exactly why it's ridiculous for a drunk fan to question the experts' decisions, made under pressure. Most of them do know and they are very good at it.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

well i read the article and im glad i was surprised, because i wouldnt want to agree with that guy.

anyway, i think playcalling is only one of several factors is winning games. id say its not even in the top 3 of importance.

i question their playcalling all the time but its out of ignorance, im sure they have rationale that they havent shared with me. although, obviously some coaches are better than others. while only the stupidest of fans think they could do better, i dont think its impossible for fans to recognize that the playcalling is bad and their team could get someone better.

7. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

If Terry is serious about getting back into coaching, it's a great year to do so.

Good chances that jobs will be open at Michigan, Tennessee, Tx A&M, Auburn (if Tubs to Tx A&M is true, as mentioned in Sporting News this week), LSU (gotta mention it as a possibility), possibly UCLA, possibly Arizona.

That's a pretty good list.

8. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

Thanks, good read.

... most of his comments were spot on. However, at salaries over $1,000,000 a year, I find no tears in the corner of my eye for coaches that complain how hard it is to find the right play in 25 seconds.

My wife has me in "compassion school" now... but this one's a toughie.:wink:

9. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

I wonder if Les Miles will merit inclusion in his coaches list if we go the distance this year...

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I think this whole thread is rediculous because it really doesn't matter what a drunk or fans think.
    It seems to me that you are empowering these people and giving them more credit than they deserve.
    If that kind of thing bothers coaches then maybe they shouldn't be coaching their sport because it comes with the territory.
    Not only that but coaches should have more important things to do than worrying about what fans and people say.
    Maybe that seperates the good ones from the average ones because I know that good ones just ignore that!

Fans and drunks are just that, take a look at the Colorado Rockies and their fan base, no one went to the games until the last few weeks and now you can't get a ticket!
    Another example is when the Rockies resigned manager Clint Hurdle and General Manager Dan O'Dell at the beginning of the year.
    Some fans were angry but guess what, they are now happy.
    Clint Hurdle wasn't a good manager in some fans eyes except for the last month or so.