Tigers and Saints

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUtiger327, Dec 7, 2009.

1. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

I was pretty psyched after the win yesterday as most of the Who Dat nation was, and marveled at the contrast btwn pro and college football.

how we as fans are excited about an undefeated team that squeaks and lucks their way past a 3-8 team, yet no one is calling for the coaches head, or worried about the direction of the program, or that we might lose a playoff game early etc.

i know losing one game doesn't matter as much in the pros but i'm strictly talking about winning games. how so many made big deals and were upset about ugly wins of 18-22 amateur college kids but no one seems (myself included) worried about a group of professionals coming out flat.

if you want to throw parity of the NFL in there, that's fine, but i would argue that parity in college football is at its greatest point ever. the days of dynasties are over.

i hope the Saintslogo are on their way to miami, and i think great things are ahead for !twocrystals! but while we watch one team strive for perfection let's realize that perfection is a road not traveled without curves and bumps and while hard for paid professionals, has to be extremely difficult for college kids.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Style points don't matter in the NFL. Style points mean everything in College Football. If there were a playoff system in D-1, i don't think anyone would care how Miles wins his games, but who knows, maybe they would.

3. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

What amazes me is how unhappy so many LSU fans are despite the record of Miles' tenure...and the ones I know personally that are constantly calling for Miles' head on a platter claim to be lifelong Saints fans.

If they took wins that seriously, they all would have committed suicide during the first 10 years of futility alone. There's no way they could have been lifelong fans...more like Johnny-come-latelys !!

It's completely incongruous. :huh:.

4. LSUtiger327

i think most rational people know that a playoff in college would be no more than eight teams and the most important thing would be winning your conference.

their aren't gonna be 16 spots open for at larges and everyone will be looking at margin of victory etc. if anything use strength of sched.

in my wacky prediction world you'll see a playoff in the next ten years, it will be done within the bowl system, the mountain west will become a BCS conf when they add houston, fresno, and boise.

it will have the 7 bcs conf champs and one champ from a non bcs conf.

winning your conference will be everything not how you win it.

5. LaSalleAve

exactly, if there were a playoff system, i don't think you would hear quite as many people in arms about the way we are winning, there would still be some, but i think if there were a playoff, close games and nail biters would be appreciated more. Its been a wild ride these past 5 years thats for sure.

6. LSUtiger327

oh gotcha, yeah i much more prefer the "survive and advance" mentality of march madness then everyone moaning that we didn't beat moo u by 40.

7. Fritzz

Fritzz Founding Member

I happy and don't care how we win - just win, baby, win.

8. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

I don't think it's a fair comparison. The Saints may have won ugly and luckily yesterday but for every ugly win the Saints have a couple of pretty wins against quality opponents. It's not LSUs record that has many fans upset, it's how we got there. Every game was a "heartburn" game, even those against USL and La. Tech. Fans are happy with the wins but it often wasn't fun to watch. You have to admit this season for the Saints has been enjoyable to watch and that goes beyond win-loss record. Rather than exciting to watch , this LSU season was, for the most part, one huge sigh of relief week after week.

9. LSUtiger327

what's the difference btwn LSU's sighs of relief and sighs of relief beating mia, wash, and stl?

edit: nevermind i went back and read your post and saw the main difference is that maybe LSU has rarely looked they've clicked on all cylnders while the saints have against NE, giants, eagles, jets, etc.

if that's the case, would everyone feel better if LSU blew out ULL, vandy, tech, and state. is that all we're talking about now??

10. LaSalleAve

NFL - just win
    NCAA - unfortunately win and win big, unless you are playing a ranked team, then just win.

the system sucks, but it is what it is.