Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Today Sucked

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by KyleK, Feb 19, 2014.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me?

Well, today sucked. I was informed that the call center I've been helping run is closing in 60 days. For my hometown of 12,000 people, losing these 600 jobs is going to be a tough blow. For myself personally, at least I've got 75 days before they cut me lose, and a bit of a severance to tide me over, but damn, job hunting is a pain in the rear.

Tomorrow is going to suck even more. I get to tell hundreds of people that their jobs are ending. These guys get no severance, no nothing. Just a thanks, see ya.

So, if y'all hear of any awesome job openings for a 53 year old senior manager, former business owner, former multi-million dollar, multi-state sales manager, let me know.
  2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I'm sorry to hear this, Kyle. Losing a job is so stressful, and to have to cut others loose at the same time must be horrible.

If it makes you feel any better, one of my 7th grade boys threw up in my classroom trash can yesterday. All I could do was shoo out the remaining students and let him have the room to himself for a few minutes. :eek:
    KyleK likes this.
  3. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Veteran Member

Good luck with the job hunt. Hope you find something quickly, and beneficial to you and your family.

That happened to me about 4 years ago. After being an asset to the company you work for so long, it really sucks feeling so expendable.
  4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me?

Thanks guys. @StaceyO , that really made me laugh! 75 days isn't much time to find something, but it is what it is. Time to hit the ground running.
  5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Dude that sucks. I'll keep my ear to the floor and pm you with anything interesting.
    KyleK likes this.
  6. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

I'm sort of in the same boat. The company I've been at for a decade is now a sinking ship b/c of many of the DoddFrank regs that have come down the pike. Mortgage Brokerage firms are on their knees. The writing is on the wall.

Not trying to put you on suicide watch or anything, but the job market is not all that great. I know, breaking news, right?

I've been applying for jobs for about 3 months now. I won't settle for a lesser job. I want a good one...but it's tough.

I've been an account exec for 10 years with the same company (with the exception of a 1 year stint that I left for a Fortune 100 company, then went back to my old firm to open a new branch). I graduated from Tulane with a 4.0 GPA. I've got more certifications, licenses and accolades than you could ever imagine. It all falls upon deaf ears.

It's frustrating, but I know that something will bust wide open soon. Just hang in there, @KyleK . It gets better.....I think.
    KyleK likes this.
  7. red55

red55 curmudgeon

I fear I know nothing about sales, but a senior manager friend of mine had his operation outsourced overseas about 10 years ago. He thought he was finished, but he was retained to manage, troubleshoot, and oversee the offshore replacements for his former unit. Lots more travel, but it was a job he knew how to do well. A long-shot, but it might be an angle for you. There are a lot of overseas call centers that could surely be run better than they are.
    KyleK likes this.
  8. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

You should try looking at some of these offshore companies with sales & exec positions. Some, like Hornbeck, are HQ'd on the North Shore. Hope this helps.
    KyleK likes this.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

He'll there are a lot here. Cox is all sorts of in need of good help
  10. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

My buddy has a mortgage brokerage business and seems to be killing it for the last five years. I assume it will turn when interest rates go up but who knows. What types of companies have been affected the most?