Tom Purcell makes a lot of sense

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by SabanFan, Jan 23, 2010.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Government Work | blog.cagle.com - main

2. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

Wait a minute! You mean it's ok to question the wisdom of government decision makers. Here on Tigerforums?

What are you SabanFan, some sort of anti-American radical? You should move to another country!

How about that for some intelligent discourse...

Sorry for the sarcasm, so will try to add something to the discussion....

I completely reject the notion that the government is better at determining what is best thing for me. In almost every case the government will take actions that will impact me negatively and enrich itself at my expense.

The government will tax you, regulate your business into the ground, poorly educate your children and then try and convince them to go die in a foreign country.

I'd prefer they just leave me alone, wouldn't you?

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

so does that mean you want to try to opt out of fire and police protection?

4. SabanFan

The one area I expect the Government to involve itself is National Defense/Security. The rest of your post, I agree with.

5. flabengal

Police protection? Are you kidding me? I've been robbed twice. The police couldn't have cared less. They were much more attentive when I did 65 in a 45 zone, though. They were johnny on the spot then.

But I would be happy to concede your point regarding police, fire, defense and hell I'll even throw in the post office. I think police and post office could probably be better handled through private organizations but for arguments sake I'll give that to you.

Could we objectively list all the things government should not be involved in?

Health Care
    Education
    Interest Rates/Finance/Banking
    Housing Market
    Economy in General
    Auto Industry
    Insurance Industry

How about the forms of government in China? Saudi Arabia? Iraq, Iran...Jordan, Cuba?

I'll give you a hint on the common denominator of countries we do interfere with......drumroll, please:

They are enemies of Israel. If they are then we have to make them "democratic".

Funny how the democracy laws don't apply to Jordan, China, Cuba, eh? Golly, the rights of Afgani women must be more important to the Senate than the rights of Cuban women.

Explain the logic behind that load of b.s.?

(got a little confused as to which thread. Sorry to be "johnny one-note"...if the powers that be want to wipe it out feel free, i won't be offended.)

6. SabanFan

You really need to try a little diplomacy. I like sarcasm as much as anyone but your style is a bit obnoxious.

Just sayin'.

7. flabengal

Probably a valid point. Will try to be a little more diplomatic. I have to say that some of the posts on this board are little more than insults. I just like to argue when I get bored to liven up the day. These folks here seem to take it personally, though.

8. SabanFan

A few of us are Veterans and not big fans of the ragheads. The majority of us are anti-Government conservatives like you. We don't take kindly to armchair warriors who act like they know everything and we are just a bunch of dumb hicks who swallow everything Uncle Sam tosses our way..

9. flabengal

Never thought anyone here was a hick. I've got nothing against hicks anyway. They might be right and I might be wrong. I'm not sure peoples backgrounds are all that relevant to whether or not they are right.

I just have a problem with the idea that all wisdom resides in Washington when it clearly doesn't.

10. SabanFan

Who said it did?