Top 5 Talented Tigers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by alumni95, Jun 25, 2004.

1. alumni95

alumni95 Founding Member

OK... I know I got this from another site, but after writing my post it really got me pumped up for this coming football season.

So the question is, who do you think are the Top 5 talented players on the team? Here is my thoughts (previously posted on another site):

1. Skyler Green (come on... the guy is worth more than a 1st down every time he touches the ball! he is scary fast coming on the end-around, #1 PR in the nation)

2. Corey Webster (INT vs UGApart1 was phenomenal, and did anybody see him as a WR at the Spring Game?? he looked to be the #1 guy if ever needed; amazing that this kid is not signing his own million dollar deal and preparing for NFL camp right now)

3. Marcus Spears (could have had an "easier" life playing BB for Coach K at Duke, but instead chose to become a human wrecking ball. can you imagine him as a TE also? he could do it all; oh, and ditto by the way on that NFL thing)

4. Jamarcus Russell (I believe in my heart that he is really #1, but until he puts it on the field we'll just have to keep fantasizing about the amazing hookups with Doucet, Carter, Bowe, Hill, etc. Most passing yards in Alabama HS, EVER! ...Dear SEC brethren, be afraid, BE VERY AFRAID!!)

5. Justin Vincent (doesn't become the full-time starter until Game 7 vs USC, and still gains 1000+ yard rushing. are you kidding me?? STUPID QUESTION: but can he do it in the big games? READ: SEC CG MVP, Sugar Bowl (THE NC) MVP.)

and I can only name 5??? not fair!!
    -but what about Ben Wilkerson (did you see the pulling blocks he made last year, and this guy is a Center??)
    -and Early Doucet ("Mr-do-Everything" at StM: Closed out his HS career with 7,104 all-purpose yards and 79 touchdowns, if you're doing the math at home, that equals about 20 touchdowns per season! #1 WR recruit in the nation)
    -and Xavier Carter (did you hear the one about when he raced Skyler and Early at practice this summer? Recap: 100-yd dash, X-man slips at 30yds, blows past them at 60yds, eats burger/fries/coke and reads the newspaper while waiting for the other two guys at the finish line)

and the list could go on, and on, and on...

THANKS COACH SABAN!! GEAUX TIGERS!!!

2. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

Good question, on pure, raw talent, this is how I'm going:

1. Early Doucet
    2. Corey Webster
    3. Justin Vincent
    4. Marcus Spears
    5. Jamarcus Rusell
    6. Travis Daniels
    7. Xavier Carter
    8. Laron Landry
    9. Skyler Green
    10. Ben Wilkerson

I cheated, I couldn't do just 5.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I'll go on where they are now, development wise, so there won't be any freshman:

1. Corey Webster - without him the blitz packages simply don't work
    2. Justin Vincent - you're not supposed to be that damned good as a freshman
    3. Marcus Spears - my goodness I don't want to be a RB or QB in the SEC this year
    4. Travis Daniels - without him the blitz packages simply don't work (see a pattern?)
    5. Kirston Pittman - quickness, speed and the ability to finish off the tackle
    6. Skyler Green - best punt returner ever at LSU (yes he really is)
    7. Ben Wilkerson - after seeing him leaned up I know he will be the best C in the nation
    8. Laron Landry - this kid must be some kinda smart in order to pick up the D that fast
    9. Andrew Whitworth - best tackle in the SEC now
    10. Lionel Turner - how can you not include the guy who put Jason White on his ass on that last play to seal the deal?

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Russell and Carter haven't played a down of ball for LSU. I hope they will be big stars but for now they are all reputation.

The most talented Tigers are the eight All-American candidates:
    C Wilkerson
    OT Whitworth
    KR/WR Green
    RB Vincent
    DE Spears
    CB Webster
    S Landry
    CB Daniels

Now, if a freshman came in and earned a starting job and excelled, he would be a Freshman All-American candidate, but its too early to tell if Russell, Doucet, or Carter can do it. :geaux:

5. freddy

freddy Founding Member

Skyler is awesome, but in the past 20 years Kinchen, Kennison, and Faulk all were tremendous return men. DD wasn't bad either. I think he definitely has the potential to be the best but give him another year at it. I do think Skyler combines the blazing speed of Kennison and the moves of Kev. Not a bad combo.

6. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Too bad we have to pick only 5

1. Corey Webster - will take the Thorpe award this year ... best cover man in college football ... amazing speed and leaping ability ... Travis Daniels is just as good on the other side ... nowhere to go for poor guys named Jason :hihi:

2. Ben Wilkerson - will challenge for the Remington Award and lead LSU's offensive running attack ... he's the best Center in America this year per many in a line with great size and talent like Whitworth, best SEC tackle.

3. Marcus Spears - will anchor and lead the best Defensive Line in the SEC this year. Spears will get the big fat pro contract Marquise Hill could have gotten had he stayed another year ... Can you imagine this line with Marquise Hill playing also :shock:

4. Skyler Green - how can he not be on the Top 5 list - just as electrifying as Dom Davis and headed toward more records

5. Justin Vincent - Since we have a secondary man, D-Line & O-line pick and special teams ... you gotta pick a back ... who else ... this guy could rush for close to 2,000 yards this year if Saban leaves him in games long enough, but don't count on that.

One thing these guys have in common ... teamwork, dedication, strength, endurance and speed ... even if they're over 300 lbs

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

1. Corey Webster --ur best athletes play secondary....period. And when you have the best in the country he is the best athlete on the team.

2. Skyler Green--Watch KC returner Dante Hall and you have the same guy here. If he is top returner in the NFL with better route running abilities and much better hands, then this is a no brainer. he maybe should be #1 but its too early to tell.

3. Travis Daniels-- superstar potential, see CW above. Still maturing and bigger playmaker potential. Has that extra whatever it is you need in a DB. You can't teach it yet you want it from all your players. Miami swagger minus the bad attitude.

4. Early Doucet--has everything you need and want from a player. Period. Speed/size/agility/heart. Everything you can and cannot teach regardless what competition you are against. Has it all and will not redshirt. Top SEC player.

5. Justin Vincent--a young kid with mad skills. Seems to have the durability and wannability you need in a kid. Good speed, great vision and better heart. JV has the makeup and better yet the offensive line to be the SEC rushing leader. Time spelled with his other 4 cohorts will not allow this but his YPA will. Co-SEC MVP.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Three of ya'll picked the awesomely talented JV as only the 5th best Tiger player. Can anybody else smell the fear coming from the rest of the SEC?

I love the smell of pigskin on Saturday nights. Smells like victory!

9. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I concur with everyone's selections, and it makes me really excited for the upcoming season.

10. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

1. Corey Webster - I have never seen a college CB as good as him. Ever. Should have been a 1st rounder this year.
    2. Marcus Spears - Jeez, should I comment? :dis:
    3. Andrew Withworth - a wall. Give any RB the ball and go to his side.
    4. LaRon Landry - sorry, but a freshman FS? Unreal. The guy oozes talent.
    5. Kyle Williams - just a monster. He will shine this year. Everytime he hit the field, something good happened.

Our talent lies on defense. Our offense has good players, but not remarkably better than every other player in the country. The good thing is that pretty much all of the starters are really close to making my list. WOW! Some teams have 2 or 3 super talented players. We have like 20 or more! I am pumped! :thumb:

I would stack up these five against anyone in the country and would not be surprised if we started having draft days like Miami in the near future.