Total SEC Championships since 1970

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by EELSU1, Jun 18, 2003.

1. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

Summing up the lists:

LSU 5 (5 baseball)
    Alabama 3 (3 football)
    Kentucky 3 (3 basketball)
    Georgia 2 (1 football, 1 baseball)
    Florida 1 (football)
    Tennessee 1 (football)
    Arkansas 1 (basketball)

OK so I sorted LSU first! If Bama fans were to argue a football championship is more significant, I wouldn't argue with them.

One clear point is championships for SEC schools have been hard to come by. Almost half of the SEC is not represented as having won any championship in any sport since '70. Even a traditionally strong football program like Tennessee only has 1 national championship in the last 50 years. Florida only has 1 ever ('96).

Another point is LSU has been the SEC's only baseball champion (other than Georgia), and Kentucky the only basketball champion, even though the SEC has had strong teams in these sports in many different years. Becoming a champion is a tough nut to crack.

If LSU were to even come close to winning 3 championships in the same year, the feat would be unimaginable by SEC standards or even national standards, especially when outside of LSU the SEC has a total of 10 total championships in the 3 major sports since 1970. Any championship LSU can tack on increases that % significantly.

2. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

What about track?

3. TennesseeTiger

I'm confused...Georgia won one, too...it's on your list.

4. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

You're also forgetting Arkansas in basketball in 1994. The title of this thread is a little confusing, since it implies you're talking about SEC championships, not national or NCAA championships.

5. TitanTiger (AU)

TitanTiger (AU) Founding Member

I'm not sure what the cutoff for sports is, but in swimming, Auburn won the national championship in men's and women's swimming this past year.

And if you're including women's sports, Tennessee has won a boatload of women's basketball titles.

6. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

I assume he is referring to the Big 3 (Football, baseball and Men's basketball).

7. EELSU1

EELSU1 Founding Member

Sojo - thanks for catching my 2 recap errors with Georgia and Arkansas. Brain cramps on my end.

8. HogNation#1

HogNation#1 Freshman

I think arkansas has won a NC in track every year for the last 30 years. I'm not for sure though. Outside of football I really don't keep up with it.

9. TennesseeTiger

According to www.ncaachampionships.com, they've won the indoor championship 17 times and the outdoor 9 times (I think it's actually 10 times because it hasn't been updated with this year's championship yet).

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I would guess, since track & field was not included, that the cutoff came long before swimming. Nice try though. I would also surmise that the list was restricted to men's sports, though some of Tennessee's Lady Vols might qualify.:)