Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Trying new things

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by lsu99, Dec 5, 2013.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

While I've never made New Year's resolutions, I have attempted to make an effort on trying new things now that I'm in my upper 30s. I think it becomes harder to get outside of your box as you get older.

Looking back on 2013, I did better than usual:
    1. Played soccer (3-4 times) for first time in 10+ years with guys from work. Went better than expected although think I'm retiring again as they discontinued weekly game.
    2. Played volleyball for first time in 10+ years and will try to continue about once/month.
    3. Grew a beard for a full month (just shaved a few days ago). Don't think I'll go past 2 weeks in the future.
    4. Did a Mud Run (5k). Will do again at some point but it will not be 42 degrees next time (didn't realize swimming was involved).
    5. Started regularly consuming local honey and home-made Smoothies.
    6. Visited Scotland for first time (wrk) and learned a little more about my Scottish ancestry.
    7. Participated in our first community trash pick up day with family. Will continue in future.

In the near future, I'm hoping to add the following:
    1. Learn Spanish. Took French as a kid but it didn't stick. Have tried starting family Spanish lessons since they have all had some prior exposure but don't think we have the fortitude to pull it off. Maybe I need to try Rosetta Stone or something.
    2. Toastmasters. I need to improve my public speaking.
    3. Attend first LSU game in Houston (moved from LSU to Houston about 13 yrs ago).
    4. Volunteer for something that my eldest son and I can do together.
    5. Either start doing Body Combat (group exercise class) or Yoga (at home) to improve flexibility.
  2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal

I have been enrolled in school over the past few years and Wednesday is my last final exam. I will walk in May and graduate from Tulane University with a 4.0 GPA. As a full-time employee, father of 2, coach, etc....I worked my ass off for this.

Anyway, once I finish next week, I will have plenty of time on my hands. First and foremost, I plan on taking care myself (rather than everything else) for a change. So at the beginning of the year, I guess you can call it a New Year's resolution, I will begin my journey to be the most physically fit person that I can be. I'm flying out to San Diego, where all of the health nuts are, and I'm going to learn some stuff. I don't know what (whether it will be crossfit, yoga, pilates, etc), but it's going to become a part of my everyday routine.

If I devote myself to my physical health like I devoted myself to graduating Tulane with a 4.0 GPA, then I should become quite the Richard Simmons.

I also resolve to change careers. I've been in the mortgage business since my early 20s. When the housing market crashed a few years ago is when I enrolled into school. I wanted to get a job with the Federal Govt, but the President passed something that gives veterans hiring preference over civilians (which I understand) and there happens to be a record number of veterans coming home right now looking for work. That coupled with the government cutbacks and furloughs, etc and it seems to have hampered my plans a bit. This all happened after I enrolled. I have no clue what I'm going to do, but I will be working toward that as well.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    Herb likes this.
  3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Are you trying to tell us you are a gay now?
    LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  4. Cajun Sensation

Dude, Richard Simmons is not gay.
  5. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

It all depends on what type of fed job you are after. Yes vets get a hiring preference but dont let that discourage you. If you are looking for a professional type position they are there to be had. Call me an I will fill you in.
    Cajun Sensation likes this.
  6. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Veteran Member

this thread is getting interesting.....
    Herb and Cajun Sensation like this.
  7. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Veteran Member

whats your degree in, also Tulane + 4.0 GPA= any job you want.
    i probably can help you out.
  8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Neither was Freddie Mercury. It is okay bro. Nobody here is going to hate on you because you are gay now. Martin is gone.
    GiantDuckFan and StaceyO like this.
  9. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Roll Green Wave!
    Cajun Sensation likes this.
  10. Cajun Sensation

I have a BA in Homeland Security Studies with a minor in PR

Here's the other kicker. I will only take a job between NOLA and Mobile, AL.

I could get a job tomorrow in D.C. or abroad with the U.S. Dept of State, but I'm divorced and I will not leave my kids. I promised them that I would not leave them.