TSA Screener and a 3 Year Old

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I saw a plan where the traveler steps into a booth and it doesn't X-Ray but it detonates any explosive on the person. Great plan. No prosecution costs to the taxpayers and it opens up a seat on the plane. .

ATTENTION: CLEANUP IN BOOTH 3!!

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Nice, great idea!!

My concern is how are you going to safe guard against poisonous snakes on a plane? :eek:

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

My boot heel.

5. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

We will see where everyone stands soon:

HR 6416: The American Traveler Dignity Act

6. Rex_B

Rex_B Geaux Time

7. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Ok, so it's not ok to profile, so they spend billions of dollars on machines and manpower that may or may not even detect the threats they're scared of. Nobody knows for sure how safe the machines are, especially for people who fly often. So if you don't like the machine, you go through the physical search where you get your "junk" patted down.

Then, some of the people that fussed about the profiling (aka Muslims) want special allowances based on religion, i.e. - women shouldn't have to be searched or scanned based on their religious beliefs. And it's actually being considered that they don't have to put up with this crap. OK then, my beliefs don't allow me to be fondled or scanned either.. What makes their beliefs more important than mine? They've got the Qur'an; I've got the 4th Amendment.

So, now instead of having thousands of people upset about profiling, you've got millions upset about getting their junk, their wife's junk, and their kid's junk scanned or fondled randomly because the TSA is afraid to use common sense. Why is it we're not profiling again?? And I don't mean visual, racial, or religiously. I mean psychological.. Questions, signs to look for in people, odd behaviors, etc... Israel's got it right, and I'd dare say they're more hated than we are. No attacks on their planes in 3+ decades.

Screw it. This is ridiculous.. I would much rather have some officer asking me 100 (which they do anyway) questions repeatedly as I go through the airport than step through one of those scanners or have my sack looked under for a lil dynamite.

Crap, the least they could do is offer people a happy ending for some extra cash after the search. It might alleviate some of this anger the traveling folks are expressing..

This country has turned into a bunch of paranoid wussies that are afraid to piss anyone off in the name of Political Correctness... The terrorists have won.

8. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

I learned something today. If you get lotion on a cast it can leave a glycerin residue for days. That residue will cause the cast to fail an explosives test by the tsa and casts ARE tested. To say it went down hill from there and it took quite a while to get thru security is an understatement. I'm pretty sure being horrified and apologetic that my cast set off the explosive detectors is what kept it from being worse.

I also learned the sonic at the will rogers world airport is innefficient and slow.

9. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

All these steps are ridiculous and do not make us safer. This is all in an effort to see how easily the public are duped into sacrificing their dignity and rights in a vain effort to be "protected".

You are probably more likely to get hit by lightening, killed in a car accident or die in a hospital from some bizarre bureaucratic misdiagnosis/treatment than die in a terrorist attack at an airport.

My theory is they are going to make the process so ridiculous and humiliating that eventually they will say the only safe and secure solution is to give everybody an RFID chip and then just scan that to make sure who you are.

Then the sheeple will gladly bleet their assent....and Big Brother will really be here among us.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I think think this bizarre nude scan and feel-up process is going to help spur development of better technology and make security as simple as walking through a metal detector. Sometimes it takes public outrage.

We are amazingly close in computer image recognition technology. The digital body scans don't have to ever be rendered photographically for any human to see. The raw data can be analyzed by computers that will recognize the signatures of forbidden objects. Conceivably, advanced machines would allow you to walk through a scanner with your shoes on and carrying your bags and be trusted to spot weapons and suspicious devices and recognize laptops, umbrellas, belt buckles, and carry-on hardware as harmless.

Modern sniffer booths are also being perfected than can pick up any traces of explosives. Conceivably, this too could be advanced into a walk-through device. I suspect that in 10 years we will all be screened by strolling with our bags through a security tunnel that will detect metal, auto-sense weapons, and sniff explosives as we pass at a walking pace.

Someone is probably already patenting the technology and trying to develop a working model. In fact, I need to find out who is doing this and see if they are on NASDAQ . . .