Two Things I Hate To See In Football

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Sabertooth, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

1. Officials deciding the outcome of the game on a flag.

2. A Kicker missing a field goal at the end of the game to lose or tie.

I was personally pulling for Ohio State to win but what a horrible call by the official, which basically decided the game. If he does not make that pass interfere call, Miami is a two time National Champion. I never did see the official throw the flag. At what point did he decide to throw the flag? You really have to be disgusted if you are a Miami fan.

Another interesting note - Once again Ohio State proved you do not need a prolific passing quarterback to win a National Championship. Craig Krenzel numbers for the night:

7 for 21 for 121 yard 0 TDs and 2 INT

Looks like Matt Mauck number at the beginning of the season. These were pretty much Krenzel's average numbers for the season. How many Ohio State fans do you think are complaining about Krenzel's passing performance tonight and all season long now? Ohio State rode a tough running attack and a great defense to a national championship, which is pretty similar what Oklahoma did in 2000-2001.

Ohio State also benefited from 5 turnovers by Miami and committed only 2. With this take and give ration they still had to go to 2 OT to win. IMO, Miami is the better team but on this night Ohio State prevailed.

2. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

Thats what I was thinking while watching Krenzel he reminds me of Mauck. We did not need a QB to win the game for us just won who would not lose it.

3. ChuckE

ChuckE Founding Member

BIGJ4LSU, Matt reminds me of Alan Risher. He could lead the team, had a pretty good arm, but didn't make many mistakes. I see Matt as the starter and one of the incoming freshman or Ricard as the backup in 2003.:D

4. tigerb8

tigerb8 Founding Member

Its just a rumer, but I hear Ricard is talking about transfering to Southeastern to play for Mummie. I guess the big name QBs commiting to LSU has him worried. I wish him the best whatever his decision.

5. Hub

Hub Founding Member

STOLE MY THUNDER

Couldn't agree more. I was livid with that call..it is becoming too common now-a-days. They guy was in no position to make the call plus he threw it real late...after the players turn to celebrate...you can see it in the top right corner of the screen.

same thing happened today in the Ala v Xavier b-ball game. One very critical, X trying to tie with seconds left and West drives and dishes out to perimeter and gets called or a charge....he barely touched the defender...game was over at that point.

something has to be done. The PLAYERS should decide the outcome.

On Mauck v Randall....personally I think we are in trouble with either of them. They are not bad athletes by any stretch but they are not what is needed in a QB. Neither is or will be a prolific passer....so you are totally wasting the talend of Clayton, Green, etc with them under center. By '04 Mauck is at safety and Randall is on the Bluff.

On Ricard....I heard the rumor too that he may be transferring to SLU.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Re: STOLE MY THUNDER

I think there was a hold that occurred earlier in the pattern, out of view of the replays.

7. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Then that makes it even worse. He threw the flag AFTER the Miami guys start to celebrate if it happened before he got to the endzone then there should have been laundry before the pass was thrown. He signals incomplete and then later throws the flag. the ref's quote "I had to replay it in my mind before I through the flag"....that's fuckin bullshit. What is this the new form of instant replay.

8. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

I'm not 100% sure on this but I'm pretty sure that the flag was thrown by a different official, not he one that signaled the incomplete pass. But still not a good way to end a National Championship game. But, for what its worth "Geaux Buckeyes"

9. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I think that most officials go by the motto "If you see a penalty throw a flag, if you think you see a penalty then don't throw a flag." If the ref had to think about it for more than the time it took to reach for his flag then it's not a penalty. If a ref could replay every play in his head and then throw a flag after the play was over there would be chaos.

Imagine. Snap, quarterback drops back, throw interception that's returned for TD. No flags but the linesman hasn't moved from the LOS and is standing there with his eyes closed. Ten seconds later he drops a flag for offsides after he replayed the play and he thinks a player was lined up offsides.

Do you think that would be cool with everyone? No because something is a penalty or not, there is no in between.