Tyrus Thomas

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tygertail, Nov 21, 2007.

1. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

Has anyone seen him play this year? I found this quote kind of disturbing...

2. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

He had a really good game earlier in the season, but I also heard about this today. Not a good sign...unless it motivates him.

3. ddt

ddt Founding Member

Got a link?

4. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Scott Skiles can't coach and the team has talent to Win but needs a better coach they are not a 2-7 or what ever losing record they have now.

5. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

6. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I guess the question will be, do the get better with Thomas on the bench?

Player the problem, or coach the problem? Or some of both? We'll see.

I don't follow the NBA that much, till second round of the playoffs. Sorry.

7. cristof11

cristof11 Founding Member

I saw the game against the Suns last week and he was awesome...The thing with the Bulls is that Scott Skiles has lost the team..The did an awful job handling the Kobe rumors...Bulls fans were chanting Kobe's name the other night...The Bulls problem is that all of their frontcourt players are hustle guys...The don't get many point in the paint..Tyrus is not a good fit in that team...They have Ben Wallace, Joakim Noah, PJ Brown and Tyrus Thomas... They all are the same kind of player.

8. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Reports: Skiles apologizes for ripping Ty Thomas

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3123191

Bulls coach says he was too critical of second-year player
    ESPN.com news services

Updated: November 22, 2007, 2:43 AM ET

Controversy often follows losing, and the Chicago Bulls were on their way there. So coach Scott Skiles tried to nip it in the bud.

In the middle of Wednesday's news conference, Skiles told reporters that he was sorry for critical comments he made about forward Tyrus Thomas on the eve of Tuesday's blowout loss in Denver.

Thomas

"I'm always in a difficult spot with a player like that," Skiles said before the 112-91 setback dropped the Bulls to 2-8. "I understand the fans see one side of it. We see the other. We know what's supposed to be done out there. We ask him to sprint the floor. To my knowledge in his career he hasn't done it one time. Not one time.

"Watch when he gets in there. Is he jogging or is he sprinting the floor? So I have to look out not only for … 'Can somebody help me win a game tonight?' but balance that against trying to get him to be a high-level player.

"He's not going to be if he doesn't do that one thing. That's about all he has to do, change ends like a train. We have not been able to get him to do that."

The Bulls have plenty of blame to go around for another slow start, so Skiles apologized for singling out his second-year forward.

"I was way too harsh in my comments toward Tyrus," Skiles said, according to the Chicago Tribune. "And I apologized to him personally. I felt really bad about that. I didn't mean for that to come out the way it did. I wasn't misquoted or anything. But I felt bad about it."

The Bulls took LaMarcus Aldridge with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2006 draft and dealt him to the Portland Trail Blazers with a future second-round pick for Thomas and Viktor Khryapa.

Aldridge has become a mainstay with the Blazers, averaging 18.4 points and 7.5 rebounds, while Thomas is putting up 6.9 points and 5.0 rebounds per game. He averaged only 11 minutes per game in the last three contests of the West Coast swing.

Skiles offered an explanation for Thomas' struggles.

"Size-wise, he's in between [small and power forward]," he said, according to the Tribune. "Unfortunately right now, we've got him out there down low, doing battle with huge people. So he's learning what he can and can't get away with down there. We're encouraging him offensively to have freedom."

But Skiles did not say he was misquoted.

"That was a mistake on my part," he said, according to the paper. "It's hard when you say something and you're quoted accurately to back up and say I didn't mean it that way. I had a little something else going on, got a little distracted and I was way too harsh."

9. Uncle Milty

Uncle Milty Founding Member

The Bulls have 2 big problems. Ben Wallace's offensive deficiencies can't be covered up on a young team like that, and secondly, the Kobe deal talk has killed a young team's chemistry. Paxson should have pulled the trigger on the deal.

As for Ty, his raw offensive skills aren't a great fit in Chicago. He would benefit greatly by playing with a great point guard, who can get him the ball in transition. He'd work great if the Nets could dump Carter's contract and work Ty in with Jason Kidd and Jefferson.

10. friday

friday Founding Member

take this with a grain of salt - it's not an indictment of TT but more underscores where the bull's franchise has headed post-jordan. look at T. chandler and eddy curry - the bulls wrecked the confidence of these young players to the point where they became ineffective on the court. after they were both traded, both had a resurrection in their short careers. It seems as though the bulls don't know how to develop these big men. Maybe it's skiles and his hard ass attitude which leads to impatience with these kids. you can't draft two high school kids and expect them to produce immediately in the NBA. TT almost could be considered a HS draft pick with his limited college experience. gotta give these kids time before you start breaking them down. I agree that TT would be a great fit for the nets. although, I would love to see him in a hornets uni catching alley oops from CP3.