UGA Bulldogs Busted!!!!

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by geauxscott, May 14, 2003.

1. geauxscott

geauxscott Founding Member

eight Georgia football players ruled inelgible by NCAA for selling SEC championship rings.

Bulldogs Busted!!!

These aren't just 2nd or 3rd team players either, these are some very important players to the team, especially Fred Gibson. In reading the article, click on the players names to see there position and where they are on the depth chart. Several are either #1 or #2 at there position coming out of the spring.

This is pathetic and embarrassing for UGA.

2. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

Fred Gibson.. Mr. "I'm not playing basketball anyone cuz they cheat"

3. BigJ4LSU

BigJ4LSU Founding Member

Notice the writer seems to like the word "rising".

4. lsu nut

lsu nut Founding Member

Why is seliing the rings a NCAA violation? It is their ring they earned them and I assume own their rings. If the rings are their property then thay should be able to do with them as they please. But I guess an NCAA rule is an NCAA rule. I do think it is ridiculous that they aren't able to sell their own property,

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

How about the ad at the bottom: "Shop at the Georgia FAN Store". As opposed to eBay I guess.

6. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

It is a way to make money off of college ball which is illegal in any form

7. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

dang, this stings for the SEC as a whole. But as long as Coach Saban runs a tight ship, we'll let the rulebreakers fall by the side.

I would assume this is considered a major violation by the individual player, what do you think the chances of an appeal overturning the innelidgibility

8. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

I read that it is OK to sell championship rings but you can't receive more than 'market value' for the ring. What is market value can be asked, especially if they sold them right after the game when spirits were running high.

9. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

do you know who pays for the ring? I know in high school it is usually up to the individual player and the booster club typically helps out some of the less financial endowed students. If the school paid for the championship rings and the players didn't pay a dime, that would be profiting from athlete status. If the money were from there own pockets, I would treat it like private property and it would be no big deal.

10. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Why the hell would a player, not even a year after accomplishing a conference championship, want to SELL his reward??! That just blows my mind!

That IS pretty sad. What a "black eye" for the bulldogs. :shock: