Ull next

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Goodlifetiger, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

It was a good game this weekend. It was great to see DD have such a great game. Home coming next week. I am sure the team will be able to stay in the now and take care of business. I will have a tough time not looking forward to Florida. Great game. Next kick some ragen cajun ass.

2. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Looking into next week's game, I think the key for the Tigers to win is to establish the running game early. We didn't start clicking against Miss. St. until we started cramming it down their throats. Let's do the same with ULL and only throw when we absolutely have to.

ULL is not very good on offense, and if you don't count last week's 34-0 win over UAB, they would be the worst offensive team in the nation. They are averaging only 41.3 rushing yards per game. Passing isn't much better. John Van Cleave is only completing 45.5% of his passes and has thrown nine interceptions to only one touchdown pass. Now Mauck is no world beater, but he sure is a lot better than that! Plus we have a solid ground game to fall back on.

The Ragin' Cajuns defense concerns me. Charles Tillman, a defensive back, is the best player on the team, with 17 solo tackles and an interception. Linebackers also play well. This unit held Texas A&M in check for three quarters, often playing with a very short field thanks to their inept offense.

I'm thinking that ULL will play conservative, not doing too much throwing on offense at first, and will try to put it on their defense to keep them in it. They are hoping we will make mistakes that they can capitalize on. They are probably thinking that they can stop, or at least slow down the run enough to force Mauck into passing situations. We must stay with the rushing game, I am convinced no one can stop us if we are determined to run the football. If we play mistake free football, blowout in our favor. If we get tricky on offense and have turnovers, this could be trouble. I hope it isn't.

GEAUX TIGERS!!

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

"I think the key for the Tigers to win is to establish the running game early. We didn't start clicking against Miss. St. until we started cramming it down their throats. Let's do the same with ULL and only throw when we absolutely have to."

You don't want to throw the ball against USL? Hey Jetstream, The Tigers showed they could establish the running game against MS State. They won despite completing only 4 out of 12 passes and playing a horrible first half simply because LSU was the better team and was a little bit more physical in a very physical game. We are not going to have a chance against Florida in the Swamp by throwing 12 passes. The USL game is the last tuneup of the year and the rest of the season is Prime Time. This is the last chance for Mauck and his receivers to get on the same page before we are playing for keeps. I would like to see Mauck throw 40 to 50 passes against the Raging Ones Both he and the pass catchers need a great performance to give them all a boost in confidence We fine tuned our ground forces on Saturday
    Next Saturday lets get the Air Force in sync before the shooting starts for real

4. r_bear42

r_bear42 Founding Member

I agree with Bengal B. If it weren't for DD, the Tigers could have sat on the bench the whole 1st half. No offense at all. The running game in the 2nd half was outstanding and should have opened up the passing game but, I guess Saban decided to stay with the running game. At least it was working and working well. Tiger D as usual played really well. Kind of reminded me of the old Cholly Mac days.

I'm somewhat concerned about the remainder of the SEC matchups without a passing game. Without one, other SEC teams will surely put 8 on the line to stop the Tiger running attack. Got to get some type of passing game going. No better time than this weekend against the
    University of Louisiana AT Lafayette. No they are not the the University of Louisiana but think they are.

5. Swampfox

Swampfox Freshman

One intelligent post out of four

Yeah thats right "No better time than this weekend" to let "Mauck throw 40 to 50 passes" so Tillman can pick off 4 or 5 of them.

Jetstream, I agree with your post except one point, Mauck is not better than Van Cleave. If anything they are even.

The Cajun Basin

6. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

This ain't no exhibition, Bengal. It's for real, and we need to do what we do best, run the football. Everything else will fall into place if we dominate the line of scrimmage. One game at a time. Florida is next week, ULL is this week.

GEAUX TIGERS!!

7. Pitkin Tiger

Pitkin Tiger Founding Member

Last week's passing game reminded me

of our 1970's high school coach's philosophy about throwing the football--3 things can happen and 2 of them are bad. Now I don't necessarily believe that about our Tigers, but if we can't pass against these "opponents" this week, we won't have a passing game all year, or at least until the Ole Miss game as they have NO defense apparently. Let's mix it up with the run AND the pass this week and tune it up for Florida while we are giving USL just another reason to go to Division 1-AA.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

OK Jetstorm The school which was formerly known as The school formerly known as SLI and now known as the school formerly known as USL will be such a formidable foe that in the voice of
    "Voice of God" announcer John Facenda of NFL Films "On that fateful early autumn evening 11 proud men showed as one in their faces nothing but grim and brutal detemination as they strode upon the baked, steamy tundra of Tiger Stadium under the leadership of Nick 'Patton' Saban. Despite the oppressive heat, to a man, every Tiger felt a chill down his spine in the knowledge that on that night the Beseiged Bengals knew in their very souls that unless every man fought tooth and nail against the vaunted Steel Curtain Defense of the Rajin' Cajuns that the sweet taste of victory would remain an unfulfiled dream that would haunt the survivors for as long as the Pigskin Pastime is contested upon the playing fields of the Heartland"

Would you at least allow Mauck to throw a few passes once victory is sealed late in the 4th quarter? Never mind. That would make it look like Nick is running up the score