Underimpressed with the USC fans

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUinPA, Feb 7, 2004.

1. LSUinPA

LSUinPA Founding Member

I've been in Los Angeles for the past week and will be here for the next 2 weeks. I've worn my LSU tie twice already, and will atleast 4 more times over the next 2 weeks. I've also got my LSU polo for the next 2 fridays. Not to mention my champ. gear for nights and weekends.

Everyone in my office knows I am an avid LSU fan. All that takes is a walk past my desk and a glance at my background! At work, all I've heard is some minor anecdotal banter.

Not only that, but working in the middle of downtown I interact with the general public plenty. I have YET to see one person wearing anything USC. I guess either no one cares, or everyone i've seen is a UCLA fan.

I'd imagine a USC fan wearing colors in Louisiana would have a MUCH different experience.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

It makes sense that you see a lot more UCLA fans than USC fans. USC is a small private university while UCLA is a huge puplic university. Walk around New Orleans and you will see a lot more people wearing LSU stuff than you will wearing Tulane stuff.

3. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Dude -

To be cool in Cali the less you show you care about almost ANYTHING the cooler you are (esp. SoCal).

Enthusiasm is almost viewed with disdain here...

...and I should know after 25 years here...

Those folks have patented the "brook trout " look that Saban talks about...

4. LSUinPA

LSUinPA Founding Member

I agree with that during a normal year...but if Tulane just won a national championship? I'd atleast think that the "closet" and fairweather USC fans, who wouldn't normally show support would now!

I've been out here before and you are right - the only place I'd ever find USC fans are in the sports bars (almost always outnumbered by UCLA fans). Maybe I'll head over to one now ;)

5. LSUinPA

LSUinPA Founding Member

Re: Re: Underimpressed with the USC fans

Well that's just sad.

But you're right, In this case I've seen nothing so far that would make me think otherwise.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Tulane had a damn good fan base untill the school decided to de-emphasize sports way back when. Never like LSU's but big for a private college in Louisiana and probably the best in the nation other than Notre Dame and USC at one time, with their fans being much more vocal than USC's. My Dad is an ole Greenie fan and it just killed him when they let the program go down so far.

7. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Re: Re: Re: Underimpressed with the USC fans

Unfortunatly, most left coasters stereotype Easterners as coarse, brash people. and they think of Southerners as foolish simpletons.

It's nothing personal, mind you.

It's not much different than the rest of the country personifying California as kooks, weirdos, flakes etc.

The truth is there's A LOT OF PEOPLE OUT HERE, if you haven't checked out the census from a couple of years back.

But most are pretty banal, compared to the energy and sheer fun that the folks of South Looziana have...

THEY GET IT!

...probably the thing I miss the most about SoLa.

8. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I guess more people in sunny Callyforni-A would be wearing more USC garb if USC had one the National Championship ! Maybe next year boys ... 'til then its purple and gold my friend !

9. dothantiger

dothantiger Founding Member

Just look at the crowd that was at the Rose Bowl. They thought they were "too good" to even cheer for their own team. I barely even seen any fans get up off their fat ass. It's pretty pathetic.

Last weekend I went back home to SE La., and it gave me chills to see all the purple and gold. To see "Go LSU" and big purple and gold tigers painted on the windows of convenient stores made me all warm and fuzzy inside :)

We have to face it, there is no other fan in this world like an LSU fan.

10. LSUTigers1404

LSUTigers1404 Founding Member

Louisiana fans period are like that. Living in New Orleans makes me a huge, die-hard Saints fan obviously. I can tell you, no other city would be able to support this team like we do. To get all excited about a team who has never really won anything takes a special type of fan.