Welcome to TigerFan.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the LSU community.

Understanding tendons

Discussion in 'The RoundTable' started by lsu99, Apr 7, 2014.

1. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

In the past six months, I've had both lingering tennis elbow (from playing a 3 hr match yet do not play very regularly) and also a sore achilles tendon. I've read a few articles for rehab purposes and have come away with the following conclusions. I'm not sure if all are accurate so please correct me if needed.

There is a fine line with how you should rest a sore tendon versus continuing to work through it. If you simply rest it, it will lose strength and flexibility. This is different than muscles that need to be rested so that they are fully healed before pushed into action.

Tendons are the hidden source of achieving maximum source of power. I always guessed that bodybuilders didn't compete in Olympic power lifting events because they take steroids/PEDs and would be ineligible. One of the articles mentioned that bodybuilders often do not have strong enough tendons to support the strength of their muscles. Therefore, their functional strength is not nearly as impressive as you would expect.

Tendons can be maintained much better into old age than muscles but generally do not receive sufficient attention, even from those that exercise regularly (unless they do pilates or yoga). For example, if I were to work on my tendons and perform all of the exercises that focus on strength/flexibility for the next 20 years, they would be stronger at the age of 56 than they are right now at 36.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

I'm no doctor and I didn't sleep in a HI Express either, but I'd go with an anti inflamatory, 500mg Naproxen if you can get your hands on it. I would for sure rest it, maybe even ice it from time to time.
  3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

For my achilles, it often feels weak and sore in the morning when I first get out of bed. As the day goes on, it gets better to the point of virtually no soreness. This is apparently common based on the articles I read. I've had two friends rupture their achilles so I've been (maybe too) cautious.

I planned to play basketball yesterday to test it out. When I woke up, it was really sore and I almost changed my mind. I warmed up slowly and stretched it between each game. I made sure to ice and elevate after.

When I got out of bed this morning, there was almost no soreness despite playing for 1.5 hrs yesterday. It made me realize that I need to pay attention to tendons as I get older and do what they say to do.
  4. shane0911

shane0911 Veteran Member

Well, there you go
  5. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I've always heard yoga was good for you but never thought much about why. I've only done it twice and was horrible. After reading about tendons, I'm going to start now. I think keeping your tendons strong and flexible may be the biggest key to feeling young as you get older.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

No pain no gain