Wells tells Stanley to stick it

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Jun 23, 2006.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Nope, the major league teams all have large scouting departments that handle all of that under the direction of their director of scouting and GM. The coaches at the minor league level pretty much just work with the guys they are sent and don't really have the time to focus on many other things. I'm sure they so a little scouting, especially in the offseason. And they sure don't do much recruiting, especially the kind that college head coaches have to do. Chuck Lamar was my next door neighbor for a while and he and I used to talk baseball all the time and he gave me a lot of insight into the game.

He was the director of scouting for the Braves at the time and was instrumental in building the club that won all of those penants. He also said that scouting baseball players was incredibly difficult as the step up at each level is so dramatic compared to other sports. Thus a ascout that had at least 20% of the players that he signed(or was responsible for finding) reach the major's was worth his wait in gold.