What do you think of Phil Martelli?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MikeD, Mar 23, 2004.

1. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

The coach of St. Joseph's has taken a liking to the media this and last week after his comments on Billy Packer. I think he should just shut up and concentrate on coaching his team instead of going on every sports show there is to talk about Billy Packer. It appears to me that he is going out of his way to yell back at Packer when he could have simply said "Well, that's his opinion and I'll just have to prove him wrong."

I think that this could be a major distraction to their team this weekend when they should be preparing to play Wake Forest.

2. DDTigerFan

DDTigerFan Back from the Dead

What he does reminds me of something Brady would do. It was stupid! I hope Packers alma mater, Wake Forest, beats the crap out of St. Joe's.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

martelli is getting a lot of pub for this but he has been this way forever. those from that area are used to it as are his players. It wasnt a distraction the first 2 games...in fact it probably motivated his team even more. as far as comparing it to what brady would do, it only proves as long as you win it doesnt matter. when you lose, then those other things suddenly become important.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Thanks for pointing that out Tirk. I'm surprised they didn't blame Brady for Marquise Hill's condition (another thread).

5. tirk

i thought it was brady's fault why marquise decided to go pro. he wanted to play hoops and brady didn't promise him a starting position. see...told you.

6. Jwho77

Jwho77 Founding Member

I'll compare him to Brady as a basketball coach. He tries to play uptempo basketball that players and fans love. Martelli knows how to recruit despite the many limitations of recruiting for little St. Joseph. He develops players who, in turn, show great loyalty to him and give even greater effort. Billy Packer is known by many as a pompous jerk who spouts off as a know-it-all. Packer is a successful businessman, but he is also not the most pleasant person. So, Martelli decided to stand up for his team to ACC-boased Packer. And, the coach not only motivated his own team after a rough loss, but he has helped deflect attention and pressure from them and onto himself. He is a good coach from both a psychological and strategic perspective. It is an insult to compare him to John Brady.

7. tirk

martelli is known for being as much of a pompous jerk as Packer or Brady, much moreso in the NE. Your opinion of Brady as a coach is valid since its your opinion but don't recant Martelli because he wins. Thats the bottom line in all of this. Same with Spurrier. Both arrogant jerks who are praised for winning. Same with Knight as he wasnt let go til he started his history of bowing out in the first round.

Martelli called a fan a nitwit and told him to shut up during a game this year. The fan was upset because full court pressed in the final minutes up 25 or so against his team. Martelli told the fan to shut up again and he should be embarrassed by his own school for getting drummed.

Say what you will about brady.... but don't always use the grass is greener explanation to because you despise the man. He isn't the bad coach that you make him out to be but that is simply my opinion.

8. Jwho77

Jwho77 Founding Member

I do not despise the man. But, I do not think he is good enough to be a big-time college basketball coach. Also, I think it is good to have a brash, even cocky head coach in a sport. But, those types of guys usualy have players and fans who love him because they reach out to the them personally and win. Dale Brown was certainly a magnanimous pesonality and earned love from his players and fans. Sure, Dale should have retired a few years sooner, but he earned our affection. Brady is just not likeable. If you add not likeable to stubborn coaching and lost scholarship players, you get a coach who needs to be replaced. Is he a bad guy? No. Is he good enough for LSU? Also, no.

9. tirk

fans loved Knight for winning. Fans love Saban for winning. Fans love Martelli for winning. Fans loved Spurrier for winning. they are all AHOLES, period. All fans at other schools hate them for winning plus being AHOLES.

Is John Brady good enough for LSU? the easy answer is no but that is your opinion.

10. Jwho77

Jwho77 Founding Member

Yes, it is my opinion and certainly an easy answer I love watching basketball, but I hate his teams approach to offense. It is staid and unreliable. Tirk, Brady is just not good enough. He loses too many recruits and recruits too many risks. He also has not recruited an quality PG in his 7 years at LSU. Without the good point guard, you will not win. Yet, Brady keeps repeating the same mistake. My complaints about him are too numerous to place into one post. But, Tirk, I am happy to say that you are in the minority of Brady supporters now, because we need a change much sooner than later.