What is your prediction/guess/hope/expectation of the LSU QB situation next season?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JohnLSU, May 4, 2008.

1. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I'd love to see Hatch go out there, be a great LSU QB over the next two seasons.

I'd also love to see Lee go out there, be a great LSU QB over the next four seasons.

Thing I love about Jefferson is that he's a Louisiana boy, and even led his 5-A Louisiana high school to becoming the 5-A Louisiana State Champions. I'd love to see Jefferson go out there, be a great LSU QB over the next four seasons.

Realistically, I think it's between Hatch and Lee. I honestly don't know who is going to beat out who. But I do hope that one solidly beats out the other. Personally, I'm not a big fan of those LSU seasons when we can't decide who our starting QB is.

2. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Re: What is your prediction/guess/hope/expectation of the LSU QB situation next seaso

Thangaberramuch!

3. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

Re: What is your prediction/guess/hope/expectation of the LSU QB situation next seaso

either option one or two and if jefferson does redshirt looked for it to be burned if there is an injury to lee or hatch.

next year's QB has to be a leader who can limit mistakes. he doesn't have to be an all star. just efficient.

the defense and running game will carry the load next year along with an improved OL.

4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Repost from other thread:

Clair is right about Lee performing better than Hatch during Spring Practice but Hatch still has the Fall to battle for a spot and anything can happen. They will start from scratch and battle again. One thing that Lee struggled with during the spring game was pressure. During practice there is less pressure to deal with during drills.

Therefore, if Lee can't overcome the pressure leading up to the season it might take a few games of in game experience to get over the hump. I could see Hatch starting if that is the case. From there if Hatch is running the offense smoothly then Lee might just have to play backup or if Hatch struggles he could be the one playing backup. (Hatch has a problem of locking into his WRs and telgraphing the deep ball)

Either way I think both will see the field pretty evenly at the start of the season until someone seperates themselves. But I think both will see the field almost every game while Crowton's uses different packages tailored to their strenghts.

JJ is not a running QB option and therefore would just be a 3rd QB doing similar packages. I think they will try to RS as long as there is no need for him to step because of poor play or injury from either Hatch and/or Lee. Give him a year to learn the offense because it will not be easy to get a grasp of or learn on the fly.

5. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Lee starts and Hatch is backup.

(You know, I don't think I've ever seen someone take the last post from one thread and quote it in the first post of a new thread...Interesting.) :hihi:

6. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

no problem

7. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

That's one thing I wonder about. RP didn't get to see the field a whole lot in big games like vs. Florida and vs. Ohio State. RP basically just went in a few times and ran the option, right?

Yes, I do get that Crowton designs packages and schemes tailored to the strengths/weaknesses of his QBs. But what the difference in the strength/weaknesses of Hatch vs. Lee? Although others feel differently, I still pretty much feel they are both drop-back passers.

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

The difference is that these 2 guys have no expierence and will have growing pains. Even though they are both considered drop-back passers they each have different throws and reads they are better at. Flynn was at LSU learning the system for 4 years when his time came. Easier transition compared to what these 2 QBs have to do.

One might step out as the better option QB and short passes while the other is better throwing the deep ball. That is yet to be determined in an actual game.

And both of these guys have decent wheels similar to Flynn and Mauck. Just enough to escape pressure and run down hill for a few needed yards. When Hatch came in to the Mid Tenn game he was poised and turned a few busted plays into positive yardage. I think he had 30 yards or so in very limited action. I think Lee is a little more mobile than Hatch and he could excel on rollout passes and Hatch could develop into our down hill runner on 3rd and short plays.

9. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

I would agree that if possible, Jefferson reshirts. You don't want to be throwing any true freshman out there, ever.

I expect growing pains. Anybody besides me remember Jamarcus or Rohan's RF season?

10. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

yes i do. while both showed flashes of brilliance, both struggled at times. and both, imho, were passed over for older yet not as talented QB's. If Lee is the guy for the future, the experience he earns this year will be invaluable. but it would be foolish to think there won't be some hard knocks along the way.