What's for dinner??

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by lsubatgirl04, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

My mother liked beets. When she was cooking them I had to leave the house to get away from the smell before I got sick.

That's sort of how I make a green bean thing but I steam the beans first because they won't be in the oven for 30 minutes. Wrap several beans with a strip of bacon. Lightly season with salt and pepper and sprinkle brown sugar on them with a healthy pat of butter. Cook them on a baking sheet until the bacon gets crispy.

LSUDad likes this.
  2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I've done that, and it is good. Hell anything w/ meat candy on it is gonna be good. Give the BS a try. You might surprise yourself. Bacon takes at least 30 min to get crispy in the oven. Try your beans w/0 the steaming. They will have more texture and a fresher flavor from not being over cooked.

LSUDad and Bengal B like this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

That's a standard holiday dinner all across the upland south and north Louisiana is part of the upland south. In south Louisiana they make an oyster dressing that is a nice change from the cornbread dressing I grew up with. Rice dressing/dirty rice is a south Louisiana thing as well as stuffed mirlitons. It's hunting season so a venison and andouille gumbo is common. And bread pudding or sweet potato pie for dessert.

LSUDad likes this.
  4. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

My mom always made oyster dressing. None of my current crew will even look at oysters. So cornbread it is!

Bengal B and LSUDad like this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Spaghetti. I didn't have any hamburger meat and I didn't ft eel like going to the store but I had a tube of Jimmy Dean pork sausage. Different but very good

LSUDad likes this.
  6. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Oyster dressing. Mmmmmmm man its been a while since I have had that.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

It's cornbread dressing at the way at our family Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. But we don't make turkey at Christmas. Christmas Eve is the Cajun tradition of gumbo, and Christmas day is pork tenderloin.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

We always ate a locally smoked ham for Christmas. My mom made chicken and dressing with chicken meat cooked right inside the cornbread dressing--pretty good stuff.

9. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

7 day dry aged Beef tenderloin smoked on low heat for 2 hours and finished on the high heat grill to a beautiful rare temp of 125. Freaking fantastic. Sipping on a Knob Creek Rye Manhattan. Life is good right now.