What's the deal with the high expectations for Auburn?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by STRIPES, Aug 3, 2004.

1. STRIPES

STRIPES Founding Member

Well, we keep hearing about Auburn's "talent"....

And how THIS year Auburn is going to do this or watch out for Auburn this year because of this player or that player, etc. Yet, it never happens. Not even close. The fact is that in the last 5 years under Tuberville, Auburn has finished:

1999-5-6
    2000-9-4
    2001-7-5
    2002-9-4
    2003-8-5

The W-L records under Tuberville's regime at Auburn average out to a record of 7.6 wins & 4.8 losses per season. After last season when Auburn was supposedly the best team in the SEC, and supposedly a National Title contender, Auburn turned in a year pretty much like all the other years since Tubby has been there. There simply is nothing at Auburn now which makes me believe that Auburn will do anything other than turn in another 8-4 year or something very close to it.

All the alleged talent Auburn has assembled is another mystery. Where is it? I don't recall Auburn being rated all that highly in the past 4-5 years regarding their recruiting efforts. So what has happened all of a sudden? All these players were "sleepers" or something? Even the Caddy hasn't proven that he can get it done against the better teams Auburn has played in the past 2 years. Auburn is now having to replace 5 of its' front 7 on defense and I suppose these 5 new faces up front are just going to dominate LSU,
    UGA, Tennessee, and Ole Miss? The odds are that Auburn will have to put
    7 or 8 defenders "in the box" to stop the run and play man coverage and hope for the best.

There is simply nothing in Tommy Tuberville's background while at Auburn
    which indicates that he is going to turn Auburn into some SEC power much less a National Power. The facts & history seem to say otherwise.

2. Whitey4Man

Whitey4Man Founding Member

Cadillac Attack-where'd you get that picture from, I would like to buy that for my dad framed-Auburn Alum-me, myself I'm a Clemson student-So no wise cracks on our squad, even though we will be solid-Not quite up to the ranks(tradition) of Auburn and LSU though. *** C. Whitehurst 4 Heisman ***

3. Whitey4Man

Stripes- I will answer your question, though nobody is expecting Auburn to be great this year- and this year they pulled in(OL) Leon Hart-National Top 25, Tony Bell(Alabaster, Alabama) and Tristen Davis(Tri-Cities High School, East Point, Georgia) two of the top twenty safety prospects in the country, though there really wasnt to much else in this year's class- at least compared to LSU.
    *** C. Whitehurst 4 Heisman ***

4. Whitey4Man

By they way I would like to compliment you LSU boys on what a good website this is-just found it today and it's a great forum with not a lot of BS- Like trash-talking, there is a time and place for that, and it's not in a college football forum-it's face to face- then feel free. *** C. Whitehurst ***

5. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

nothing from his ole miss days either....

6. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

2000 8-4 5-3
    2001 10-3 6-3
    2002 8-5 5-3
    2003 13-1 7-1

Apart from winning one more game to reach the 10 win plateau, what in Saban's past would have indicated that he would break through in '03?

I'm not saying that Tuberville will lead us to a NC this year, just saying that the ball bounces funny ways sometimes.

7. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Easy now, Stripes. Let's not forget that prior to LSU's runaway success of '03, Saban's reg season record was:

1998-4-7 (I believe Saban started in '99?)
    1999-3-8
    2000-7-4
    2001-9-3
    2002-8-4

Assuming Saban started in '99, then the four-year comparison is Saban's 28-19 record compared to CTT's 30-19. Not that dissimilar, so you see, there was not that much in Saban's background to indicate that he would "turn (LSU) into some SEC power much less a National Power." The facts & history would've seemed to say otherwise, right? Not trying to flame here, just pointing out that alot can change in a given year IMO.

Will this be Auburn's year? Doubtful. But the fact of the matter is that Saban has been able to keep a decent staff together and provide for the requisite stability and continuity needs of the LSU program. It's really the only way that talented players can consistently suceed at the college level given the limited practice schedule imposed by the NCAA. CTT has failed to accomplish that, and IMO that's the primary difference in where the two programs are at today. No mystery, no voodoo magic, no big science involved....... just good ole' human nature.

BTW -

8. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

But Tubby's a world class douche bag and everyone knows it. Coach Saban, however, is a good guy.

Glaring differenece.

9. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

Hard to argue with that. :dis:

10. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Well, I'm not here to defend CTT, just pointing out some obvious flawed logic.
    Steve Spurrier was perhaps one of the most legendary "douchebags" in the conference, but there's no doubting his considerable success. The fact is, nobody really cares when you're winning.