what's your favorite donut?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by snorton938, Apr 30, 2004.

1. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

are they better in the donut shop or from the grocery store (for krispy kreme's can you even tell the difference)? whose got the better donut shop donuts, krispy kreme or dunkin'? what's the best flavor?

here are the top store bought brands based on sales in $millions:

Top Ten Store Brands of Donuts

Krispy Kreme $194.6M
    Entenmann's $155.9M
    Private Label $102.2M
    Hostess $ 92.4M
    Dolly Madison $ 38.1M
    Little Debbie $ 16.6M
    Merita $ 13.8M
    Freihofer $ 13.0M
    Tastykake $ 9.2M
    Metz $ 8.6M

Based on data from Information Resources Inc, Chicago, IL for the 52 week period ending June 22 , 2003 in Snack Food & Wholesale Bakery, July 2003.

and here is a random taste test that pitted krispy kreme against dunkin':

Donut Taste Test

Anchor
    FOR MILLIONS OF AMERICANS, HERE'S THE RECIPE FOR NATURE'S PERFECT FOOD, FRY DOUGH, COVER IT WITH SUGAR AND OTHER SWEET TOPPINGS, LET IT COOL A BIT, AND YOU'VE GOT DONUTS.
    WHAT'S MORE, THE RIVALRY BETWEEN DUNKIN DONUTS AND KRISPY KREME IS GETTING SERIOUS, SO SERIOUS THAT CONSUMER REPORTER LIZ CRENSHAW DECIDED TO SETTLE A FEW THINGS WITH A DONUT TASTE TEST.

Crenshaw
    SUSAN/DOUG, FOR THIS REPORT WE PITTED DUNKIN DONUTS VERSUS KRISPY KREME VERSUS MONTGOMERY DONUTS, A SMALL MONTGOMERY COUNTY MARYLAND DONUT CHAIN.

FOR US, THERE'S NOTHING BETTER THAN DUELING DONUTS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU GET TO TASTE TEST THEM.

IF THERE'S ONE THING PEOPLE LOVE IN THE MORNING, IT'S DONUTS. THE SNACK INDUSTRY SAYS AMERICANS SWALLOW 3.7 BILLION DONUTS A YEAR, ENOUGH TO CIRCLE THE EARTH SEVERAL TIMES, NOT TO MENTION HOW THEY CIRCLE YOUR WAISTLINE.

WHAT'S MORE, THERE'S A BATTLE ROYAL BREWING IN THE DONUT BUSINESS. KRISPY KREME, WHICH HAS A VIRTUAL CULT FOLLOWING IN THE SOUTH, IS HEADED NORTHWARD AND VOWING TO MAKE A RUN AT DUNKIN DONUTS DOMINANCE. BUT IS THERE REALLY A DIFFERENCE IN DONUTS? TO FIND OUT, WE HEADED FOR THE EXPERTS AT THE FITZGERALD AUTO MALL IN ROCKVILLE MARYLAND. THESE GUYS KNOW CARS, BUT WHEN IT COMES TO DONUTS, THESE FOLKS ARE DILETTANTES.

WE BROUGHT 3 BRANDS OF GLAZED DONUTS WITH US, DUNKIN DONUTS AT $5 A DOZEN, MONTGOMERY DONUTS AT $5.75 A DOZEN. AND KRISPY KREME AT $6 A DOZEN,

WE CUT UP THE DONUTS, PILED THEM UP ON PLATES MARKED A, B, AND C, AND LET OUR DONUT LOVERS HAVE AT 'EM.

SO HOW'D THE DONUTS DO? MONTGOMERY DONUTS WAS THE WINNER, OF 42 TASTERS, 22 LIKED MONTGOMERY BEST, 18 TASTERS PICKED THE KRISPY KREME BRAND, BUT ONLY 2 TASTERS SAID DUNKIN DONUTS DELIVERED.

one more listing of favorite donut shop and grocery store donuts with a commentary about mr. donut (anybody seen him?):

National/Regional Chain Stores
    Daylight Donuts
    Dixie Creme Donuts
    Dunkin Donuts
    Krispy Kreme (preferred by 4 out of 5 b4Gers; the fifth one doesn't like do(ugh)nuts. Heretic.)
    Montgomery Donuts (pareve)
    Paradise Donuts

Store Brands
    Dolly Madison
    Entemann's Donuts (ooh, especially the Ultimate Chocolate Lover's Collection)
    Hostess Frosted Donettes
    Merita Sweet Sixteen (in the little white bag)

Speaking of do(ugh)nuts, does anybody remember a chain of stores called Mister Donut? They were everywhere in the seventies, but fell to the wayside here in the US. They are still kicking in Japan and other countries, but has anybody seen a working Mister Donut around here?

2. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Hot glazed Kremes @ KK when that hot light is blaring.

Not even close.

Perfection occurs in that hot sugar zero.

Once they're cold & in the store then all bets are off....

We FINALLY got 'em out here 3 years ago...

I grew up in BR & went to Redemptorist - KK was RIGHT THERE on Plank Road..

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I grew up in south BR but many was the time that I made the trip to Plank Road for some fresh, just baked KKs

4. Vincent4Heisman

Vincent4Heisman Freshman

They used to have Sunrise doughnuts in Lafayette. They had the best "cake" doughnuts I've ever tasted. It was right next to Pete's on Johnston St. That place changed names so many times but still made the same doughnuts. Not even Meche's or Krispy Kremes could compete with that.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

new york is crazy for krispy kreme. they used to have one in the world trade center that was always packed. i love krispy kreme too, they destroy dunkin donuts. however, if i must go to dunkin instead of krispy kreme, i'll take the blueberry cake donuts.

a few years back when i lived baton rouge, i used to take my girlfriend to the krispy kreme on plank road, she would be nervous about the neighborhood, but i told her to shut up and enjoy the incredible donuts we bought there.

6. snorton938

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Sometimes I eat a pack of those little coconut donuts for breakfast. They go good with coffee.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

9. snorton938

they better not have to run fast or the people are in trouble...... :cry: :cry:

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The only cops who can run fast are the ones on TV cop shows