What's your take on gay's being given marriage licenses?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by TigerEducated, Feb 21, 2004.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

isnt another solution just to leave marriage to churches? that way no faggots can whine to the government.

2. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

I wonder if the reason gays are "throwing it in our faces" is the same reason blacks "threw it in our faces" about segregation and their lack of rights in the 50's and 60's. I wonder if they had not done what they did, would they have the rights they have now? I'm old enough to remember when blacks were thought of in much the same way gays are now.
    Perhaps if we were to put aside our prejudices and allow them to live the life they want on equal terms with the rest of us, they might not be so inclined to be so vocal.
    And so what if their union is called a marriage. Big friggin' deal. A word is just a word. What they have is not going to change one iota what my wife and I have . You have red and white grapes and red and white potatoes and black and brown and white and grey dogs and cats. You have Robins and Sparrows and Crows and Eagles and Hawks.
    All different , same things.

3. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

First off, MiketheTiger69, it was Anthony Munoz who said that about Romper Room, if I'm not mistaken...

Secondly...Comparing GAYS with ETHNIC MINORITIES is a hogwash...

Ethnic minorities were being subjugated and oppressed, and being denied their RIGHTS...

In the Constitution, it never said that black of hispanics were 3/5ths of a man...Or that they were to be denied their basic human rights...

On the other hand, gays have never been denied the right to a fair trial, the right to a publicly funded elementary and high school education, or the right to work, or the right to live their lives as they see fit.

What they have been denied is to gain entrance in an institution that was designed thousands of years ago to define the lifelong love and relationship that results between a man and a woman, called a marriage.

This is because their relationships and lifelong loves were not members of the opposite sex, and therefore-in almost every organized religion known to man-those loves were considered abominations and against what the Church designed marriage for.

Why now should they want to be included in something they're quite clearly aware of that was not designed for their relationships? Why would I attempt to marry my mother while she was married to my father, since I love her dearly?

What separates my love with my mother from the love I have for my wife? Are there different types of love between different types of people?

I mean, should people start marrying their parents, their best friends, et? Should people start marrying their cats and dogs?

Marriage was designed for a man, and a woman...It's like that femine deodorant's commercial tagline...

Marriage...Strong enough for gay people, but religiously defined for a man and a woman...

4. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Founding Member

Another point that cannot be stressed enough.

Marriage is NOT a civil/Constitutional right. It is a PRIVELIGE, a LICENSE issued by the state to confer legal definition and protection to men and women and their children. A state can confer or not confer that privelige upon anybody they wish, for any reason. Same for churches/religious institutions.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

exactly, so why does the government give it to anyone? why can't it be strictly the domain of churches?

correct RELIGIOUSLY, not by the government! this should not be a public sector argument. if a church started marrying gays, you can just not go to that church, but when the government does it, you cant avoid it. you cant "not attend" like you can a church. that is why the government should not be involved in religious decisions.

6. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

TE, you are mistaken. Brad Bude saidthat after the USC game in 1979.

"On the other hand, gays have never been denied the right to a fair trial, the right to a publicly funded elementary and high school education, or the right to work ,or the right to live their lives as they see fit."

Oh really? What planet have you been livng on? Gays are routinely denied employment opportunities, harassed at the work place and in schools, particularly the high school level and they certainly cannot openly serve in the armed forces. Just let an all hetersosexual male jury be called on to judge a gay mans case, especially if it involves a sex crime, and he won't stand a snowball's chance in hell.
    I just love that last part. Living their lives as they see fit is exactly what they are asking to do, without interference from paranoid schizoids like, well, I won't name any names.
    Man, you guys just don't get it do you. A word is just a word. Marriage as defined by Websters dictionary is: The state of being married, relation between spouses: married life, wedlock, matrimony.2 the act of marrying, wedding 3 the rite or form used in marrying 4 ANY CLOSE OR INTIMATE UNION 5 the king and queen of a suit, esp as a meld in pinochle. Who cares what you call it. You can call it a black turd on a white horse and it still won't change what it is.
    If gays agreed to call it legal joining, or anything but marriage, would you then be willing to grant them the same rights and privileges of conventional marriages? Of course not because its not what they call it that you and others object to, It's how they live and you don't approve of it. Why don't you all just admit that and be done with it. IT'S NONE OF YOUR OR MY OR ANYBODY ELSE'S BUSINESS HOW THEY LIVE AS LONG AS THEY OBEY THE LAW AND CONDUCT THEMSELVES WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT FOR OTHERS!!
    The whole thing behind all of this is nothing more than prejudice. If it's a religious issue with you, then leave it up to God to deal with them. If it's a personal issue, too bad. Get some help in dealing with your prejudices.
    I've known many gay people, all of tehe honest hard working good people. None of them ever treid to push their lifestyle on me and none of them ever had any kind of agenda. They are people who have the same dreams and aspirations as anyone else. Whether they were born that way or chose to live that life, it's their business and I nor anyone else have the right to try and force them to live any other way.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

7. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

i'm not in your face with my lack of religion. i encourage you to continue to believe in any magic you choose.

i dont see why you would want the government to side with anyone's particular superstitions though. if i were you i want religion to be the domain of private citizens.

9. M.O.M

M.O.M Founding Member

i'm not in your face with my lack of religion. i encourage you to continue to believe in any magic you choose.

You are absolutely on a Secular Jihad. Anything remotely Christian or that by your defintion must be Christian based is necessarily evil by your definition. For 1 post on this subject that mentions religion, you have responded with at least 5 anti-religion posts. I take that as a two-fold issue. First, as mentioned you are on a Secular Jihad and secondly, you have no legitimate argument on the issue but to swing at windmills seeing Christianity as a roadblock to all your hopes and desires. Obviously you are a strong gay advocate and feel very, very strongly about this issue and are driven to see gay marriage be made legal by the courts. That is very clear.

i dont see why you would want the government to side with anyone's particular superstitions though. if i were you i want religion to be the domain of private citizens.

Religion is the domain of private citizens, and the Constitution is clear that the government may not establish a Church of the United States. But what does this have to do with gay marriage? Other than your religious zealotry on the issue?

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

why are you putting your words inside my quotes?

i am not in favor of gay marriage being made legal. i am in favor of marriage being completely independent of laws.

i understand you think marriage is a weak institution and will crumble if only sanctioned by churches. i have enough faith in straight marriage that i believe it will be fine without government help.

i hate to do this to you, but i am gonna have to call you out for lying. i have repeatedly stated i favor marriage being the domain of churches, and not the government and do not favor laws in favor of gay or straight marriage.

look, i understand you are religious, and i can respect that. there are plenty of people here who agree with you about gay marriage. they dont make up lies or put words in my mouth to argue with me. possibly they are smarter than you.